Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I'm venturing into the world of liver...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aw! Liver is awesome! Maybe it's a regional palate thing? We Northern Europeans seem to love our offals, quaffing them down with abandon. Sure, it's a strong flavour and possibly an acquired taste. What about liquidising it and making up a really strong gravy for more regular meat?
    Paul
    http://www.pjgh.co.uk
    http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Another thing I tried the other night that worked really, really well was to blend up the liver and put it in a tomato-and-ground beef "pasta" sauce. (I use shiritake noodles instead, but essentially it's spaghetti.) Makes the sauce look like a rose sauce and tastes richer. Goes well with mushrooms if you have those to throw in too. Use lots of garlic. Anyway, the kid and the husband both asked for seconds.

Comment

Speaking of rabbit liver (and kidneys and hearts [they have two]).

Comment

Originally posted by pjgh View Post
          Aw! Liver is awesome! Maybe it's a regional palate thing? We Northern Europeans seem to love our offals, quaffing them down with abandon. Sure, it's a strong flavour and possibly an acquired taste. What about liquidising it and making up a really strong gravy for more regular meat?
          for me it wasn't the flavor, it was the texture. I'm sure i just did something wrong but when i tried to make liver and onions, the liver tasted like gritty pennies. It was beef but i'm not sure if it was calves or grown.

i think spughy's ideas are good.

Comment

I just ate my first beef liver, too! Bathed in in olive oil and cooked just until it turned dark. I could almost cut it with a fork! It had a strong flavor, which I chose to enjoy. I even ate the huge veins in it. Then I had this bowl of cooked blood and olive oil to consume (all those fat and protein calories were finding their way into my tummy somehow!), so I drained a can of peas and tossed it in. It was epically delicious and I bought chicken liver yesterday to try it again!

I'm finally genuinely seeking out the Whole Meat experience at this point. Next will be either marrow or kidneys.
            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

I bought some duck liver on the weekend from the local organic butcher, delicious! I've tried chicken liver before and found it disgusting though, I'm going to try calf liver next week. It's not an easy thing to start eating if you've never been an offal person, you really have to have your mind open to actually enjoy it first time rather than just keeping it down. I think I'm going to start making pate with it to mix it up a bit
              http://realcareerguidance.com

Comment

I always liked the fake-liver chopped liver stuff at Passover, so when I get the liver from my 1/2 beef (it'd be sooo funny if the person getting the other 1/2 wants the organs and stuff too) I'm just going to make a big batch of real-liver chopped liver and call it done.

Chewy + meat = me + barf. Pink is bad and evil for me.

Comment

Originally posted by sapphire_chan View Post
                  Pink is bad and evil for me.
                  If this is the case, stay away from liver or change your outlook. Liver is most palatable when it is pink
                  Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
                    If this is the case, stay away from liver or change your outlook. Liver is most palatable when it is pink
                    Agreed. It's the only way this former liver hater will eat it: brown is gross; pink is yum.
                    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

No, I mean I don't like the squishy-fleshy texture of meat that's still got pink in the middle, like steak that's medium vs. medium-well . So for liver, which goes from soft and horrible to dry and horrible without passing any pleasant textures (for me, obviously, I know other people enjoy rarer meat), I'm going to stick with a recipe that grinds it up into a paste. Bypass the texture issue all together.

Comment

No, I mean I don't like the squishy-fleshy texture of meat that's still got pink in the middle, like steak that's medium vs. medium-well . So for liver, which goes from soft and horrible to dry and horrible without passing any pleasant textures (for me, obviously, I know other people enjoy rarer meat), I'm going to stick with a recipe that grinds it up into a paste. Bypass the texture issue all together.
                        Understood, though I will say, pink liver does not have the (to me) lovely squish of muscle meat. It's just soft rather than the gross grainy of over cooked. It is "livery" either way, though, so grinding it up in something else would be the way to go if the excess iron flavor is to be avoided.
                        Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

I got some frozen grass-fed calf liver slices yesterday. I just googled for some recipes, but most of them involve flour.

I'm thinking of just sauteeing some onions in butter, and then adding the liver slices to the pan for a couple minutes on each side at the end.

I guess I could make some kind of cream or wine sauce for it. Would a creamy cheese sauce go well with it? (Similar to a blue cheese sauce sometimes served with steaks?)

Comment

Originally posted by maurile View Post
                            I got some frozen grass-fed calf liver slices yesterday. I just googled for some recipes, but most of them involve flour.

I'm thinking of just sauteeing some onions in butter, and then adding the liver slices to the pan for a couple minutes on each side at the end.

I guess I could make some kind of cream or wine sauce for it. Would a creamy cheese sauce go well with it? (Similar to a blue cheese sauce sometimes served with steaks?)
                            I just make sure the surface is dry and then saute in butter. I often deglaze the pan with heavy cream or liqueur of some sort to make a sauce: works wonderfully.

Comment

Originally posted by tangentrider View Post
                              Understood, though I will say, pink liver does not have the (to me) lovely squish of muscle meat.
                              That's good to know. Maybe I'll try a small onion rich bite of lightly cooked liver before turning everything into chopped liver.

Comment

That's good to know. Maybe I'll try a small onion rich bite of lightly cooked liver before turning everything into chopped liver.
                                I think that's a wise choice. I mean, I'm a former liver hater and I'm actually starting to love the stuff. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                                X