Flavorless oil for mayo?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flavorless oil for mayo?

I've tried to make my own mayo, but haven't really liked the taste much. I've tried straight olive oil but hated that. Then I tried a mix of olive oil, coconut oil and bacon fat and that wasn't that good either. Any suggestions? I made BLT's tonight, well really lettuce wraps with bacon, tomato and avocado and I was dying for some good mayo!
    Female
    31 yrs old
    5' 1"
    started: 113.5
    current: 109.7
    goal: my only goal right now is to get pregnant... 14 cycles and counting.
    exercise: Body by Science - loving it.

The best I have tried in my limited experiments has been LIGHT olive oil. The small bottle works out about perfectly for a batch.

My educated guess, however would be to use animal fat like lard or tallow. I need to do some experimentation to find out which one is the best.
    Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

Don't use a high quality olive oil, Extra Virgin is delicious on salad, but too strong for mayo. I agree with New Renaissance, look for light olive oil (it's not light in fat or calories, it's light in color, usually from the second pressing of the olives).
      My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Walnut oil is perfect and you can get it at any grocery store. I really want to try macadamia oil.
        The more I see the less I know for sure.
        -John Lennon

Comment

I made a good batch with avocado oil. I think macadamia would work well also. The fat can't be too highly saturated or it won't form a creamy emulsion. (see this awesome post about making animal fat mayo: The Food Lab: Animal Fat Mayonnaise | Serious Eats)
          Avocado and macadamia work because they're mostly monounsaturated.

I also made a batch with EVOO and ghee (from this post: Homemade Ghee Mayo | Mark's Daily Apple) and it tastes alright, but I mixed it in coleslaw, so maybe that's masking the usual sharp EVOO taste.

I would use "pure/light" olive oil, but I'm not sure about the quality of it. It's what gets extracted after the EV pressing so I'm not sure about it.

Comment

Macadamia makes yummy mayo but it has a very strong nutty flavor.

Comment

I use the tasteless kinds of coconut oil. Works beautifully! It does tend to solidify, but just keep it somewhat warm, and that should be a problem

Comment

Okay so pardon my ignorance, but even with the eggs in it, you can keep it warm?
                Female
                31 yrs old
                5' 1"

Comment

I agree with the light olive oil suggestions. I use Bertolli Extra Light Tasting.
                  My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                  My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

Originally posted by mcsnick View Post
                    Okay so pardon my ignorance, but even with the eggs in it, you can keep it warm?
                    For an hour or so that's fine. For a storable mayo you would need a different approach.

Comment

Yay, perfect success using extra light olive oil. I used an immersion blender and for the first time ever my mayo turned out perfectly! Thanks for the great suggestions.
                      Female
                      31 yrs old
                      5' 1"

Comment

I've used macadamia nut oil which is almost tasteless, also walnut oil, both of which I like.
                        This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                        Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Originally posted by erica057 View Post
                          I agree with the light olive oil suggestions. I use Bertolli Extra Light Tasting.
                          +1

Comment

I like half light olive oil and half avocado oil.

Comment

Originally posted by mcsnick View Post
                              no
                              WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

Working...
                              X