chuck wagon steak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chuck wagon steak

How should I cook a grassfed chuck wagon steak that I have thawed out? I'm guessing this is a tough cut of meat and not one I want to just through on the grill.

Is it like flank steak, where it's better to slice it thin?

If anyone has experience cooking this cut and making it tender, I would love to hear how you cook it.

Thanks!
    My journal

Anyone? I googled it and just got chicken fried steak (yuk)... makes me think it's tough and not sure how to cook to make it more tender.

Help!
    My journal

Comment

I have never heard the term "chuck wagon" steak, and I live in Texas. Sorry.

Comment

Ha. Well, that's not a good sign!

I occasionally buy grassfed from a local farmer, and I bought this a while ago and cannot remember how she told me to cook it. She always gives me the low down on various cuts, as before changing my WOE over a year ago, I rarely ate steaks and am not great with cooking them (obviously).

I have it marinating in olive oil, lemon juice, a bit of coconut aminos (thought they might help it tenderize), garlic, pepper, fresh rosemary and thyme from garden. At least the marinade will be tasty. I also cut some slits in the meat but am wishing I had a meat hammer/mallet - might help.

I'll be in Austin in July - will have to see if I see any "chuck wagon steak" -- if all it's used for it's making "chicken fried steak" (now if that's not awful sounding), I may be in trouble.

Thanks!
        My journal

Comment

If you think it's supposed to be tough, low and slow is the way to go. If not sear then cook to the desired doneness is what you want.

Comment

Maybe they are referring to chuck steaks, which is basically sliced chuck roast.

Comment

Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
              Maybe they are referring to chuck steaks, which is basically sliced chuck roast.
              Maybe... and chuck roast is, I'm assuming, tough?

Ant - maybe I should wait until tomorrow and cook low and slow instead of tonight on the grill (we were probably going to cook around 7:30).

Thanks, guys!
              My journal

Comment

Another Texan here who has never heard of Chuck Wagon Steak...I hope you did postpone and not grill. I would vote for low and slow. Some of the best tasting beef can be those tough cuts that you give time to break down.

Comment

I did grill it, and it was GOOD... really good.

I had to do a quick errand after I posted, so I ended up getting a meat mallet and beat the mess outta it. I was so afraid of it being tough, I really hammered it. It ended up marinating for about 3 hours. My husband grilled it perfectly medium rare. We were both very pleasantly surprised. I think it was my hammering... :-)

Thanks everyone!
                  My journal

Comment

if indeed it was chuck steak i like to do mine like i do roasts
                    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Angieh View Post
                      I did grill it, and it was GOOD... really good.

I had to do a quick errand after I posted, so I ended up getting a meat mallet and beat the mess outta it. I was so afraid of it being tough, I really hammered it. It ended up marinating for about 3 hours. My husband grilled it perfectly medium rare. We were both very pleasantly surprised. I think it was my hammering... :-)

Thanks everyone!
                      Yes, beating your meat can make all the difference.

Comment

It was probably chuck roast, which is a huge thick and usually tough cut. Ground chuck roast makes great burgers and not-ground it makes great pot roasts. Good on you for getting your exercise and meat in one go!
                        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

John and tfarny -- hahaha!

My last thought is I should've taken a pic for proper id... kinda want to know what it was. Next time I get beef from this farmer, I will be sure to ask. And, I would definitly buy it again!
                          My journal

Comment

Working...
                          X