Sweet potato noodles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet potato noodles

I saw them in the asia store and just had to try them.

Big mistake....

Don't do it! SERIOUSLY!

They are tasteless and you have to chew them like bubble gum.

Yeah I can't eat the shiratake noodles either. Some people here have tried them and don't mind the lack of taste/weird texture, but I can't do it and wouldn't personally recommend them. I think when I tried them, I was looking for something to replace noodles/pasta (back when I was losing weight the CW way) and wanted the experience of eating noodles/pasta without the calories. It's so not worth it.

Comment

I rather like them. If you expect them to taste /feel like wheat pasta then, yes they are weird but, if you are thinking rice noodles, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I think they soak up spicy asian sauces nicely.

Comment

What's in them besides sweet potatoes? I don't mind different textures and it might be nice to have some kind of noodle to eat.
        Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Spaghetti squash is awesome

Comment

Oh yeah, love spaghetti squash. I usually just eat it with a red sauce but it's amazing with shrimp alfredo as well. I was thinking the noodles might be an easy option.

Comment

I used to love shiratake noodles (must must must rinse them), but now they just upset my stomach. No idea why.
              Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal gal you'll ever meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                What's in them besides sweet potatoes? I don't mind different textures and it might be nice to have some kind of noodle to eat.
                It's just sweet potato starch and water...

Comment

One thing to note is that they are not made from the sweet potatoes we grow in the western world... Shiratake are made from the Japanese "mountain yam" which, in its raw form, is basically tasteless snot. At least, this is for the Shiratake brand.

Comment

They're made from something called a konjac root. What ends up in the noodles has minimal calories and carbs. It is basically pure dietary fiber. So yes, it is tasteless. It's meant to be. It soaks up whatever flavor is around it. If what was around the noodles was bland and boring then I can see why someone might get a bad impression of the noodles. For spicy Thai recipes, I find they work really well.

Comment

Ah, interesting. I'll have to give them a tentative go. I'm iffy with some fibers and starches but I want to try them. I tend to find noodles in general pretty bland, so always use them with something flavorful. I wonder how an almond based sate sauce would work . . .?

Comment

Yeah,I too agree with you the taste of the Potato noddles is really bad.Its like a Chewing Gum which you have to chew It for a while.This food can effect Digestion...

Comment

Shirataki and sweet potato noodles are different though... Sweet potato noodles are Korean and they are called japchae. Delicious stir-fried with vegetables, meat and sesame oil. They are transparent and they soften up properly like normal noodles, so they don't have the strange chewy texture of shirataki/konnyaku.
                          My food blog, with many PB-friendly recipes

Comment

OH. MY. GAWD. I bought some sweet potato noodles yesterday, cooked them this evening. Fingers crossed I don't react to the starches because I kinda pigged out on them. Cooked them and rinsed really well in cold water. Made this sauce Chicken and Egg Salad with Almond Satay Sauce and set aside.Cubed some chicken tenderloin and fried it up in bacon drippings with a bit of garlic. When the chicken was done I threw the noodles into the pan and tossed them together with the chicken then poured the sauce over the whole thing. DE-LISH-US!

And I love the Oriental market, BTW. They had shark on sale so had that for dinner last night, blackened.

Comment

Working...
                            X