Cilantro Pecan Pesto

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cilantro Pecan Pesto

This is delicious on chicken or fish. Cilantro is much cheaper than Basil (at least here it is)--and this is so simple.

Cilantro Pecan Pesto

2 cups fresh Cilantro leaves
    2 garlic cloves, peeled
    1/4 cup each: lightly toasted Pecans and freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 tsp. finely minced Jalapeno (optional)
    1/2 cup EVOO
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In the bowl of a food processor, combine cilantro, garlic, pecans, Parmesan and jalapeno; process until a smooth paste is formed. With the motor running, drizzle in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Makes about 2 1/2 cups. Freezes well.

I would never consider Cilantro to be a substitute for Basil; they aren't even remotely close in taste.

That being said, this sounds good.

Comment

Got some cilantro in my teeny-tiny garden right now! Not 2 cups worth though. Looks like I'm making a trip to the store.
      Durp.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc View Post
        I would never consider Cilantro to be a substitute for Basil; they aren't even remotely close in taste.

That being said, this sounds good.
        Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to to make it sound as if it was a good substitute for Basil in a regular pesto. This is totally different.

Comment

Basil being expensive is a fair comment though. In fact, generally I find it impractical to buy fresh because any time you use basil you tend to use a lot of it. I could go through $10 easily making one batch of pasta sauce.

While we are talking pesto, does anyone have any tips on avoiding making a paste? Generally if you buy pesto from a store it comes as "finely chopped particles suspended in oil", which always seems better from a presentational standpoint. I suspect it requires sophisticated manufacturing techniques (not involving a blender at all).

Comment

Htowngirl, that's exactly how i make pesto too (except i use a whole jalapeno, sometimes roasted, and i also use lime juice) & for the same reason (basil so expensive). But actually, i made some regular basil pesto the other day & now it seems that i prefer the cilantro way.

i didn't know you could freeze it, maybe i'll start making some again...

Comment

arugula make a nice pesto too - i didn't invent that, i saw it on giada delaurentis's show.

Comment

Working...
              X