Ideas for a butt roast?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for a butt roast?

I have a nice, big butt... ROAST! and I'm looking for ideas on how to cook it. The last one, I did in the slow cooker since lots of websites suggested that, but it didn't turn out all that great. Now I'm a bit uncertain how to cook this one, and yep, my folks are over and ate the last one that wasn't so great from the slow cooker.

So, it looks like more of an oven type roast, very firm and well formed etc. etc. like an oven roast should be. I just don't want it to be tough or dry.

Cooking ideas please and thank you!
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Hawaiian Style.......rub the roast with some liquid smoke and (lightly) with Hawaiian or Sea Salt. Toss it in the crock pot, for 8-10 hours. It makes it's own juice. Just shred, and eat. Or wrap with lettuce for a wrap. Serve with coleslaw, and/or mango pico de gallo. Delish!!

Comment

I had a boston butt roast and did the crockpot route too. I shredded it when it came out. I've never done a non-crockpot roast of that kind. Sorry!

Comment

Yeah, I'm all crockpot for cuts like that. What was bad about the first one you made?
        Durp.

Comment

The crock pot didn't work at all for the other one It came out ok, slightly tough, and still very well formed. It wouldn't have shredded, it sliced like an oven roast, and was just not as nice as I'd have expected. This one is similar, it doesn't look like a crock pot piece of beef at all.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Is it pork or beef? I used this recipe for pork roast - I did use a little pork belly with it and did not drain the fat as the recommended. It was delicious. I ate it in lettuce wraps with avocado relish and citrus marinaded red onions. Good stuff!

Braised Pork Belly Tacos Have Knives, Will Cook
            Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Beef roast. Hrm, that gives me an idea, if I oven roast it maybe I will wrap it in bacon. I have some nice, fatty bacon that would do in the freezer. Maybe some Montreal steak spice, or just plain garlic n onions... hmmmm.....

Big Fat Fiasco

Comment

The final decision: Cook it in the oven, and it was delicious. I put it in at 350F, and since I was a little worried about dryness I draped it liberally with bacon. It turned out perfect.

Mmmmm. Beef with bacon.

Sides were mixed veggies, and a slaw with sesame-ginger vinaigrette dressing.

Big Fat Fiasco

Comment

Uds

Late to the thread since you have already cooked it, but next time I would recommend using an Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS)!

Easy peasy and cheap to build as long as you can find the right kind of barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacon Mint View Post
                    I would recommend using an Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS)
                    This looks awesome. I don't think I could build it myself, but I bet I could get one of my friend's husbands to do it for me, especially if I cook for them!

Comment

I consider my self the pied piper of smoking. I'm amazed more people here don't smoke. Doesn't get much more primal then that.

Was off work today and smoked a couple of yard birds. Nice homemade rub on the skin and under the skin. Four'ish hours in the smoker at 225 degrees and you've got some mighty good eating there. Smoked some corn on the cob too. Home made smokers are great, if you know or someone else knows what they're doing. I went the easy route with a Weber bullet.

Comment

The only way I can imagine any roast not coming out of the crock pot fork tender is if you cooked it on high for too short a time. I always plan at least 8 hours for any type of roast. Cooking on LOW is a must. Whenever I've cooked a roast on high and for less than 8 hours it comes out dryish and must be sliced.

Also, for beef roast in particular I always season with my favorite rib rub and brown it thoroughly on all sides before putting it in the crock pot. Brown as in DARK brown, so brown you are nervous it is going to burn. To do this you will probably need to add some fat to the skillet - bacon grease, coconut oil, etc. I've never used butter but it would work fine... just not sure if you would taste it so I've never tried it.

Add water to the crock pot to about half-cover the roast. (Be SURE to add some water the skillet you browned the roast in and boil/scrape any yummy browned bits off. Add this to the crock pot as well.) You may toss in a couple cloves of peeled garlic and a quartered onion if you wish. This will produce lovely dark drippings that can then be placed back in the skillet and reduced further to make sumptuous primal gravy.

Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

So... don't give up on the crock pot. You just have to plan ahead and start it early in the day. You'll be glad you did.
                        42 yo female; 5'8"
                        Oct 2009: 205 lbs
                        Dec 2010: 167 lbs
                        Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
                        Goal weight: 145 lbs

Comment

I started another thread for pasta replacement, and it involves using a shoulder. And it also has an idea for leftovers.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread32548.html

And in case you don't want to click the link, here it is.

First, braise a big roast. I like pork shoulder or beef chuck. Sear it all over in a hot pot with olive oil, remove it, and then throw in some veggies. Carrots, celery, onion, and saute until translucent. Throw the meat back in on top of the veggies then add a mixture of herbs, wine or beer, and some stock until the meat is about 2/3 covered. Bring the whole thing to a boil and then throw it in an oven at 325 or so and leave for at least 3 hours. It is really hard to over cook and since the meat is "low quality", cooking for a long time will break down all the connective tissue.

When its done, remove the meat and let it rest and you will have a big pot of veggies, meat drippings and other juices (you should probably try and remove the herbs). Transfer the veg and juice into a blender and buzz it up (I also skim off some of the fat as it messes with the consistency of the sauce) and throw it in the fridge. Oh and eat the meat. It will be delicious.

The next day, take some squash, half it and remove the seeds. Cut it up into 1/2 inch pieces and saute in oil with salt and pepper. Heat up the sauce and shred some of the left over meat. Mix it all together and there you have it. I love it, and my parents, who aren't exactly primal, love it too. I'll try and take pictures next time.

First, braise a big roast. I like pork shoulder or beef chuck. Sear it all over in a hot pot with olive oil, remove it, and then throw in some veggies. Carrots, celery, onion, and saute until translucent. Throw the meat back in on top of the veggies then add a mixture of herbs, wine or beer, and some stock until the meat is about 2/3 covered. Bring the whole thing to a boil and then throw it in an oven at 325 or so and leave for at least 3 hours. It is really hard to over cook and since the meat is "low quality", cooking for a long time will break down all the connective tissue.

When its done, remove the meat and let it rest and you will have a big pot of veggies, meat drippings and other juices (you should probably try and remove the herbs). Transfer the veg and juice into a blender and buzz it up (I also skim off some of the fat as it messes with the consistency of the sauce) and throw it in the fridge. Oh and eat the meat. It will be delicious.

The next day, take some squash, half it and remove the seeds. Cut it up into 1/2 inch pieces and saute in oil with salt and pepper. Heat up the sauce and shred some of the left over meat. Mix it all together and there you have it. I love it, and my parents, who aren't exactly primal, love it too. I'll try and take pictures next time.

Comment

Working...
                          X