Stock/broth question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock/broth question

So I put chicken wing sections (they have bones) in the crock pot with some red wine vinegar and a bit of EVOO.

It's been cooking in that (and its own juices) for about 8 hours now, 6 hours on low and 2 hours on high. It is currently on low right now.

I've been wanting to make chicken broth or stock (whatever the healthier one is, sorry) to reap the health benefits...so can I just use what I have? There's 2 lbs. of the chicken sections in there. Or is there not enough bones?

Any other ideas? I could just use the meat for tomorrow's lunch and save the bones for a broth.
    "Carbs are the victim, not the crime" - ChocoTaco

P.S. - I am NOT any sort of master cook.

Comment

If you want to make stock, I would add some water. I usually add meat, celery onion garlic and a carrot and fill the crockpot full of water and let it go. I never add oil, there is usually fat you need to skim off anyways
      Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

mmmmm, that sounds delicious! I would pick out the meat when its done, eat it / use it, then add water, a splash of vinegar and an onion, a carrot and maybe some garlic and let it simmer for a few hours. Strain when liquid tastes yummy, refrigerate or freeze, and eat.
        Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by JKC View Post
          If you want to make stock, I would add some water. I usually add meat, celery onion garlic and a carrot and fill the crockpot full of water and let it go. I never add oil, there is usually fat you need to skim off anyways
          I can skim the fat off the top then? Sounds good.

Can I add frozen vegetables like the ones you mentioned? I can't go to the store now, but I have some frozen veggies I could use.

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
            mmmmm, that sounds delicious! I would pick out the meat when its done, eat it / use it, then add water, a splash of vinegar and an onion, a carrot and maybe some garlic and let it simmer for a few hours. Strain when liquid tastes yummy, refrigerate or freeze, and eat.
            Use the same juice that's in there now, right? That does sound good...

Comment

Once cooked remove the meat and then put the bones back in the crockpot and add water... then cook for a however long (I do a whole chicken for 3 hrs...remove the meat... put back in the crockpot for 21 more hrs... so 24 hrs total). I add water from the start.

Then... after cooking strain into a large pot, cool, put in the fridge until the fat forms on the top ...this is when you can remove that layer. Then put your stock in jars. It only lasts for about 5 days... so use it or freeze it.

Comment

Originally posted by highaerials36 View Post
                Use the same juice that's in there now, right? That does sound good...
                Yep yep, you bet! Just build on the wonderful tastes you've already got going in the crock pot. I use frozen veggies all the time.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Awesome! Added water and veggies last night and just woke up, smells wonderful.

This is very healthy stuff, right? Has vitamins and minerals?

Comment

Yes, very healthy... gelatin, too! Good for your connective tissues and joints! Bone broths can help prevent osteoporosis and have a lot of vitamins and minerals.

Comment

Extremely healthy! If you're not sure, just freeze it, box it up and send it my way

Big Fat Fiasco

Comment

Great! Just came home to it warm and ready to refrigerate. Tastes soooooooooooo good!

Comment

Here is what i do:
                          Take chicken parts, ie wings, back, ribs etc., quarter an onion, chop up about two carrots, two celery ribs, cut a garlic clove in half, turnips, herbs (rosemary, thyme, a couple bay leaves), a good bit of salt and some black peppercorns. Throw in a pot and well cover with water. The water should be about 2-3 inches above the veg and bones. Bring to a boil then cover and simmer for hours. Take out all the big pieces and then strain through a wire strainer. You can do a second strain through cheese clothe a second if you want, but its not necessary. Skim off the fat with a spoon or use a gravy separator and you're done.

Also, the difference between stock and broth is the concentration. Reduced broth=stock, at least that is how I learned it.

Comment

I use frozen veggies all the time. In fact I keep a ziplock bag in the freezer and as I'm going about my normal food prep I throw the veggie scraps in the bag instead of the compost. Onion peels, garlic peals, carrot ends, celery or zucchini ends etc. Sometimes even egg shells (they will add lots of calcium). You are going to strain the veggies out of the broth when your done anyway so why not make use of scraps?

Comment

it's better to do a long simmer, but i prefer the taste of a shorter, 6-8 hour simmer. so if you simmer for 20-24 hrs and decide you don't like the taste, a shorter simmer is better than no stock!
                              my primal journal:
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X