Primal Sweet Potato Recipes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Sweet Potato Recipes?

So I thought that cooking a sweet potato was just like cooking a regular potato: cover it with a little oil, wrap it with seran wrap, and throw it in the microwave for ten minutes. Apparently that's not how you do it, because mine came out as a dry, wrinkly, inedible sweet potato-resembling mound. I could use some help here. XD

So does the MDA community have any suggestions?

For one medium sweet potato, I would poke a few holes and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes. After that, I would check it and probably turn it over to cook a while longer.

A recipe that uses sweet potatoes
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I've been cooking a whole batch of them at once. Wash potato(es) but don't dry. Place them bare, in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. They come out perfectly moist and soft.

Comment

Cut into 1/2" sliced
        Coat with melted coconut oil (I put a bunch on the pan and melt in the oven then just smear the slices around)
        Spread out on a flat baking pan
        Sprinkle garam masala to taste (I like a lot!)
        Bake at 375F for 15 minutes
        Turn over and sprinkle more garam masala
        Cook an additional 10-15 minutes

Comment

I usually put 5 or 6 in the oven at a time at 425. Wrapped in foil with a pat of butter for 120 minutes.

Another one I like is to take 2 large baked sweet potatoes and 3 eggs mashed and mixed up. Add 1 tbsp of cinnamin and bake at 350 for 30 min. Comes out great and tastes good.
          Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

i have done the sweet potato hash, which is super easy and delish. just shred 3 sweet pots, cook up on stove in coconut oil and sausage and sprinkle of cinnamon. next time im gonna add more stuff like onions, mushrooms and maybe spinach. delish and even better the next day with a fried egg on top! another fav is roasted, dice up the sweet pots and throw in a dutch oven with coconut oil or evoo, leeks, carrots or parsnips, garlic, mushrooms....really you can add anything here and let it bake in a 500 degree oven till soft.

Comment

For oven baked sweet potato chips, or sweet potato fries, we like this dipping sauce:

2 parts yogurt
              1 part mayo (you can use Primal mayo of course)
              add the following to taste:
              fresh grated ginger
              cayenne pepper
              curry powder
              turmeric
              salt

It's soooooo good!

Comment

Wash and pat dry.

Coat in oil, sprinkle with salt. Poke with fork, place on pan and bake at 400F for 45-60 minutes.

That's about all I do. Maybe eat with butter, most if the time I'll scoop out the insides and refrigerate to eat post workout, blended in with whey powder and coconut water.

Another is to make a casserole with sweet potatoes, rutabagas, and carrots. Cube all 3 and boil until tender. Mash with butter and cream, add cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, then bake at 350.

I don't have ratios for any of this, as I cook it by feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                  I've been cooking a whole batch of them at once. Wash potato(es) but don't dry. Place them bare, in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. They come out perfectly moist and soft.
                  That's a great idea, especially for the heat we have in the summer months!
                  Georgette

Comment

Check out everydaypaleo.com if you haven't already. Sarah uses sweet potatoes quite a bit in her recipes found either on her blog or in her book.

Comment

Thank you guys sooo much! It'll take me a good few weeks--maybe months--to try out all these recipes without going over my 'potato allowance' but all of them sound DELICIOUS!

Comment

Mashed with butter and Thia kitchen full fat S & P mix just like you would potatoes.... I like to peel and boil, drain water,put back on stove on low to dry them out a little stirring and mashing as they dry out, mix in coconut milk and butter. serve

special fancy- do mashed as above then dump in glass dish

topping- about 4 TBLS of each >grated coconut, ( cheese grater) hard butter,pecans,walnuts, 1 Tsp honey or stevia to taste I do this in the food processer crumble and bake 350 tell crunchy on top
                        Last edited by Eatmydust; 06-08-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Cut in wedges and place in a bowl. Cover with olive oil, a lot of paprika and salt to taste, mix well. Place in a baking sheet for 15-20 mins. Awesomeness!!! Try dunkin' them in almond butter....
                          My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by redtoycar View Post
                            For oven baked sweet potato chips, or sweet potato fries, we like this dipping sauce:

2 parts yogurt
                            1 part mayo (you can use Primal mayo of course)
                            add the following to taste:
                            fresh grated ginger
                            cayenne pepper
                            curry powder
                            turmeric
                            salt

It's soooooo good!
                            I do something similar except for seasoning I add a squeeze of lemon and horseradish to taste. For the chips/fries I melt some bacon drippings and toss them in it with garlic powder. Yummmmm.
                            Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

I microwave them all the time. 10 min might be too long. I just rinse and place them in a bowl and i put a loose top on the bowl and microwave for about 8 min. Only sometime do they need more time. For me, this method is preferable to making sweet potato hash and possibly even cutting into slice, adding oil, and baking (i need to try baking them again). But its simple and they are never too dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X