Need reassurance from the raw egg eaters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need reassurance from the raw egg eaters

I would like to try my own mayo, make bacon mayo, etc, but my fear of salmonella and "raw eating" in general makes me really nervous. I know this is CW-inspired but it's just one of those things.

I am currently buying my eggs from either the farmer's market and from the guy I get my grass-fed beef from. the eggs are so "free range" there's still dirt on the shells. lol.

Do you all just not worry about being sick from raw eggs? How sick might one get, exactly?

I think the salmonella and eggs issue is pretty much a thing of the past now - farming methods are much better than they were in the 80s in that respect. I've never been ill from eating freshly made mayo in the past - and the eggs have been from a farmer's market, organic etc.

You would probably more likely get problems from batery hen eggs these days.

Comment

Hi JamieBelle,

I thought it appropriate to respond because I just had my breakfast of three raw eggs sucked right out of the shell! I don't even refrigerate eggs. I try to buy directly from organic farmers who let their chickens run around and eat bugs and not soy products. However, I can't always so I buy store-bought free-range eggs, too. I eat many, many of them raw without a problem. I cook many of them, too.

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine that most of the sickness that might arise from eggs comes from what's on the outside, not from what comes from the inside. Wash them first if you're concerned.

Hope it helps.

Comment

Juan - goodness me! What do they taste like? I think the consistency would put me off, tbh, but if you enjoy them, then that's good enough for me!

Comment

I don't know how true it is, and you may want to look it up to be double sure, but I was told that washed eggs are more likely to get contaminated because washing the eggs removes a fine protective coating that keeps bacteria from penetrating the egg's shell. You can wash them immediately before using the egg, however, if it makes you feel better. I generally do.

Comment

@PrimalK

To be honest, I eat them raw sucked from the shell for convenience. I.e., when I'm in a hurry or need a quick boost of energy. Eggs are digested very quickly and easily.

@Diana

I had not heard that about washing eggs. When I wrote my post I was thinking of washing immediately before use, as you suggested.

Comment

I have ate a lot of raw eggs as well- I don't worry about it at all(well assuming they are not nasty store eggs but farm fresh). Straight out of the shell is a bit much for me, but I have done plenty in smoothies and mayo.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

I drink 3 to 6 raw eggs daily

Comment

I once got salmonella from eating an egg sandwich in a fast food. And the eggs were hard-boiled. So I'm not sure why people think raw eggs are more dangerous in that respect.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about raw or cooked eggs from an independent small farm just like I wouldn't worry about Mad Cow Disease or E.Coli in a grass-fed beef.

Comment

I don't worry about raw eggs at all. We make our own mayo almost weekly (w/ raw eggs). As long as you have good quality eggs, don't worry about it. Salmonella is only an issue from sick birds. This article has some decent info on raw eggs:

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/raw-eggs.htm

And...another one from Dr.Mercola...I don't agree w/ everything he writes, but every now and then he does put out some good info:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-part-two.aspx

Comment

I consume two raw eggs per day. I have for a couple of years. No problems.

Comment

OK. Thanks everyone. I'm going to bite the bullet. so to speak.

Comment

Awesome...for me, I believe it is necessary to eat some form of raw protein whether its raw milk or eggs. Raw has every nutrient in it and they don't get broken down by heating. Besides that, the study that says only 50% of the protein in raw eggs is usable was bogus I found out. The study was done on people that had a digestive disorder.

Comment

I've been thinking of going with raw eggs for breakfast, but the texture sort of seems weird to me. I ate a raw clam once and couldn't choke it down.

Any suggestions for starting on raw eggs? I've put them in my protein shake before but I'd like to do the "tough" thing and go just egg someday.

Comment

Working...
                              X