Slow cooker stew help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow cooker stew help!

I am having trouble finding a good slow cooker recipe for my stew meat that is calling to me from my freezer. Everything I can find online has potatoes or flour or other crap I won't eat. Any help would be great. Links, recipes, anything you have!

My stew consists of throwing vegetables in pot, season meat, throw meat in, add water, turn on crock, and leave.

Anyone with a real recipe would be appreciated!
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best

Comment

Substitute turnips for the potatoes and ditch the rest of the crap you don't want to eat. You can thank me later on the turnips.

Comment

This was great if you like Thai food!

Brussel Sprouts for Breakfast and Red Curry for Dinner | Everyday Paleo

Om nom nom!
        Steph
        My Primal Meanderings

Comment

you can toss literally anything in there, it all depends on what you like.
          beautiful
          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
          lol

Comment

I take my meat, season it with S&P and in the crockpot, I qtr onions, carrots, you can use parsnips or turnips but I still eat potatoes, a few cloves of garlic, some beef broth and let it cook. Simple and delish.
            Georgette

Comment

Like everyone has said, you can throw virtually anything in there. As a general rule of thumb, you will get better results from more sturdy vegetables (ie, carrots, turnips, parsnips, onions, garlic, etc...)

If you're looking for a recipe of sorts, we have a good pot roast recipe on our site.
              The Food Lovers' Primal Palate: Certified Organic Pot Roast | What is Certified Organic?

Comment

A Year of Slow Cooking

This is a link to a site where a guy ate out of nothing but his crock pot for a whole year.

I like lamb rubbed with a garam masala spice mix. Put in pot with 50/50 broth/red wine. Cook all day while trying not to drool on yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                  A Year of Slow Cooking

This is a link to a site where a guy ate out of nothing but his crock pot for a whole year.

I like lamb rubbed with a garam masala spice mix. Put in pot with 50/50 broth/red wine. Cook all day while trying not to drool on yourself.
                  Ooooooooh! I think my lazy slackerpants self just found a new favorite website! Thank you!
                  Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal gal you'll ever meet.

Comment

I love Stephanie O'Dea's 365 Crockpot blog site. Her cookbook is just as good and something to check out.

Comment

Sear meat in bacon grease. Throw in crockpot. Add broth to come half way up ( or more) the hunk of meat. Throw in cider vinegar (not much, maybe 1-2 tbsp for a 6 qt crock pot), onion, garlic, carrots, herbs and spices, celery, turnips, and tomatoes or ro-tel. Cook until meat falls apart. Add peppers, bell peppers, broccoli and other less sturdy veggies. Cook until less sturdy veggies are correct consistency. Serve.
                      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

Food from across the country...: Amazing Primal Beef Stew
                        This could easily be tweaked to be a crock pot recipe. Do all the stove-top instructions on the stove-top or the flavor will suffer. But then transfer it all to the crock pot and let it go. I'd add the pearl onions and mushrooms about 2 hours before serving.

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by tamo42 View Post
                          My stew consists of throwing vegetables in pot, season meat, throw meat in, add water, turn on crock, and leave.

Anyone with a real recipe would be appreciated!
                          Hey, it's good enough for hand grenades! Only suggestions I would make are:
                          - Brown meat in a skillet or dutch oven, then put it into the slow cooker.
                          - Deglaze said pan or dutch oven and put the pot liquor in the slow cooker.
                          - Sub potatoes for turnips, add parsnips and some greens like kale.
                          - Add spices liberally, but salt in stages.

It's one of those things where you don't need a recipe. You can use tapioca or arrowroot to thicken, or if really froggy, gelatin. I haven't triedxantham gum yet.
                          My Fitday public journal.
                          Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                          Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                          Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

+1 to what everyone else is saying!

YAY freezer food -- Iceage Primal! It really IS just as simple as only chucking in the stuff you like. Change-up by sometimes browning the meat, sometimes don't. Sometimes have it in a bowl with pork rind "croutons", sometimes plate it up over a bed of broiler-roasted zuccini slices.
                            I'm just your average, legendary superhero, trapped in a lump of flesh.

Scottish Highland Games: a sport where the fat kid gets picked FIRST.

Comment

If it's a "dish" you're after, a dish with a name ... keep it simple ... keep it classic ... keep it French.

Beef Burgundy - Beef, whole mushrooms, onions (better, whole salad onions), carrot in good sized chunks, garlic, beef stock, good glug of red wine (French, of course ... make it a Bordeaux). Lid on cook 'til done. I'm doing one myself for tonight's dinner.
                              Paul
                              http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                              http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Working...
                              X