Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexican San Choi Bau (also known as lettuce tacos)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican San Choi Bau (also known as lettuce tacos)

The girly and I love our mexican, but since we have cut out grains, bye bye tortillas and tacos. As we still ahd the mad craving, we came up with this very quick and simple substitue that was just as yummy.

Ingredients

500g beef mince
    1 iceberg lettuce
    1 capsicum, diced ( I think you call them bell peppers)
    taco seasoning pack (the brand in Australia is Old El Passo)
    Nachos salsa topping (same brand, but any salsa with beans would do)
    1 tbsp Woresteshire sauce
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    cracked pepper
    Cheese, grated
    Sour cream

Method.

1. Brown the mince in a fry pan, meanwhile, separate lettuce into taco shapes

2. add capsicum and taco seasoning, combine, then add salsa and reduce heat to simmer. Use woresteshire and soy sauce to shake clean salsa jar and add to mix, stir in some cracked pepper

3. Once meat has reduced, about 5-10 min, serve into lettuce shells, add sour cream and cheese, and enjoy!

leftover meat is perfect the next day reheated in a fry pan with some fried eggs and tomato

lettuce taccos . . . I once eat them with a friend in a hotel. Will try them next weekend.

Comment

Nice I like asian dishes like this too, just throw a bunch of ingridients in a lettuce leaf, dip in some kinda sauce and enjoy. S.E.Asian's good for this, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia. Great food.

Comment

Also I used to fill lettuce leaves with SUPERCHUNKY guac when I was rawfoodist. No reason not to do it primal, just the thing for accompanying a ribeye.

Comment

Nice one.

I make something similar, and sometimes just toss everything into a big bowl.

Then it's called "taco salad."

Comment

We do the same thing, but we use green cabbage leaves. They hold up better.

Comment

In regards to filling lettuce leaves, does romain or iceburg seem to hold the fillings better?

To make your own taco seasoning:

1Tbsp Chili Powder
              1tsp garlic powder
              1tsp onion powder
              1tsp each s&p(can cut salt to half a tsp)
              1tsp oregano
              1 1/2 tsp cumin
              1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
              1/4 tsp paprika
              For added heat 1/4 tsp or more of smoked chipotle powder.

Mix into meat, add water and enjoy great taco taste with no preservatives.
              Georgette

Comment

I'm trying this ASAP! We love Mexican food too. I love the idea of doing them Thai-style like a larb gai.

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                  In regards to filling lettuce leaves, does romain or iceburg seem to hold the fillings better?

To make your own taco seasoning:

1Tbsp Chili Powder
                  1tsp garlic powder
                  1tsp onion powder
                  1tsp each s&p(can cut salt to half a tsp)
                  1tsp oregano
                  1 1/2 tsp cumin
                  1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
                  1/4 tsp paprika
                  For added heat 1/4 tsp or more of smoked chipotle powder.

Mix into meat, add water and enjoy great taco taste with no preservatives.
                  Perfect. I was just looking for something like that.

This afternoon I made a taco salad using enchilada mix I got from Earth Fare. It's the only one with no onions!

Comment

Sounds good, but whats in the taco seasoning pack? You can use chili and cumin instead most of the time if the ingredients in the taco seasoning are not primal. I usually use 3 different chili powders when we make our version. I am going to try the iceburg lettuce because we have a hell of a time eating meat in greenleaf lettuce. It always falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by DFH View Post
                      Perfect. I was just looking for something like that.

This afternoon I made a taco salad using enchilada mix I got from Earth Fare. It's the only one with no onions!
                      Are onions bad? Or do you just not like them?

Comment

Originally posted by NicoleP View Post
                        Sounds good, but whats in the taco seasoning pack? You can use chili and cumin instead most of the time if the ingredients in the taco seasoning are not primal. I usually use 3 different chili powders when we make our version. I am going to try the iceburg lettuce because we have a hell of a time eating meat in greenleaf lettuce. It always falls out.
                        Store bought taco mixes have higher sodium content and typically a lot of nasty preservatives and thickeners.
                        Georgette

Comment

I use the lower salt McCormick Taco Seasoning. Its ingredients are Spices, (Including Chili Pepper, Cumin, Oregano, and Red Pepper), Onion, Whey Solids (Milk), Salt, Sugar, Paprika, Garlic, Potato Starch, and Citric Acid.

I know the potato starch isn't strickly primal, but more so than the corn starch that Old El Paso has.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynna View Post
                            I use the lower salt McCormick Taco Seasoning. Its ingredients are Spices, (Including Chili Pepper, Cumin, Oregano, and Red Pepper), Onion, Whey Solids (Milk), Salt, Sugar, Paprika, Garlic, Potato Starch, and Citric Acid.

I know the potato starch isn't strickly primal, but more so than the corn starch that Old El Paso has.
                            What I make is tastier and all around cheaper too.
                            Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by Lynna View Post

Sugar and potato starch would make me not buy that

Comment

Working...
                              X