Lamb Shank Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lamb Shank Help

Picked one up yesterday for the first time just to try it, and since the slow cooker will be tied up with pork, what are my options?

Im thinking of wrapping them up in tin foil with butter and spices, bake for 2.5 to 3 hours at 375F.

Any other suggestions, tips, advice?

Thanks

put in a pan with garlic, salt, pepper, mint, sage and red wine, cook at 250 until it falls off the bone...
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Im thinking of wrapping them up in tin foil with butter and spices, bake for 2.5 to 3 hours
      Do that, too tough for anything else!
      Meri bilong mi i belhot!

Comment

Thanks guys, ended up wrapping it in tin foil with sage/mint/salt/pepper/butter for 2:15 at 375 then broiled for another 15. Best 5 bucks Ive spent all week.

Comment

I love them cooked low and slow with onion, garlic, root veg chopped up, fresh rosemary sprigs, salt and pepper, and enough dry cider or white wine to cover. In a lidded casserole dish, bring to boil and put into an oven heated to about 160 C for a couple of hours. It is one of my favourite meals.

Comment

I made 4 lamb shanks last week, roasted in a deep pan with thyme, rosemary, and a bottle of Smithwick's ale (beer not especially primal, but tenderizes the heck out of the meat). Roasted at 350F for 5-6 hours (mainly because I forgot it was in there).

Turned out amazing
            Last edited by Rapunzel; 05-30-2011, 07:18 PM.
            Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal gal you'll ever meet.

Comment

Mostly any long cooking method will work as long as the temperature isn't too high. Last time I made it I stuck it in the dutch oven with some canned tomatoes and forgot it for a few hours. Came back and shredded the meat into the tomatoes -- I was licking the fork the whole time

Comment

Originally posted by Rapunzel View Post
                I made 4 lamb shanks last week, roasted in a deep pan with thyme, rosemary, and a bottle of Smithwick's ale (beer not especially primal, but tenderizes the heck out of the meat). Roasted at 350F for 5-6 hours (mainly because I forgot it was in there).

Turned out amazing
                I do something similar in the slow cooker: shanks, rosemary, and German wheat beer (I know, I know) and cook it at least overnight. The result is amazing.
                Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Originally posted by tangentrider View Post
                  I do something similar in the slow cooker: shanks, rosemary, and German wheat beer (I know, I know) and cook it at least overnight. The result is amazing.
                  There are GF beers out there, are those considered primal? (or at least 'acceptable'? still rather new to this, so curious more than anything)

I was at the farmer's market and telling my lamb guy about PB and wondering about alternatives to beer, and he said he always braises lamb shanks in unsweetened cherry or pomegranate juice and according to him it's the acid in it that really helps break down the connective tissues.
                  Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal gal you'll ever meet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapunzel View Post
                    There are GF beers out there, are those considered primal? (or at least 'acceptable'? still rather new to this, so curious more than anything)

I was at the farmer's market and telling my lamb guy about PB and wondering about alternatives to beer, and he said he always braises lamb shanks in unsweetened cherry or pomegranate juice and according to him it's the acid in it that really helps break down the connective tissues.
                    I know Robb Wolf doesn't totally pan GF beers. I've tried one--can't remember the name, but it was made from sorghum--and it was good, but not great.

Juice sounds interesting; I may need to try that next batch.
                    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

I used this recipe and it was good.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Oven-braised Lamb Shanks With Toasted Orza

Recipe By:
                      Serving Size: 1
                      Cuisine:
                      Main Ingredient:
                      Categories: MEAT, Lamb

-= Ingredients =-
                      -FOR
                      3 tablespoon Olive oil
                      Salt
                      Pepper
                      4 Lamb shanks
                      2 Stalks celery ; coarsely
                      Chopped
                      2 Carrots ; coarsely chopped
                      1 large Onion ; coarsely chopped
                      2 cups Port wine
                      1 cup Red wine
                      4 Sprigs fresh thyme
                      2 Heads garlic ; split in half
                      Horizontally
                      8 cups Chicken stock
                      8 Sun-dried tomatoes
                      Rehydrated
                      Coarsely
                      -FOR
                      2 tablespoon Olive oil
                      5 tablespoon Unsalted butter ; divided
                      2 cups Orzo
                      1 small Onion ; finely chopped
                      1 Head roasted garlic
                      5 cups Water
                      1 cup Reserved cooking liquid
                      1/4 cup Finely chopped parsley
                      Salt
                      Pepper

-= Instructions =-
                      Method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in a medium Dutch oven
                      until smoking. Season the shanks on both sides with salt and pepper and
                      sear until golden brown on both sides; remove to a plate. Add the celery,
                      carrots, and onion and cook until caramelized. Add the port and red wine
                      and reduce by half. Add the thyme, garlic, chicken stock, and shanks and
                      bring to a boil; cover and bake in the oven for 2 hours or until tender.
                      Remove shanks and strain, reserving 1 cup of the braising liquid. Reduce
                      the remaining liquid by half and add the sun-dried tomatoes. Orzo
                      Pasta: Heat oil and 3 tablespoons of the butter in pan. Add 1/2 of the
                      orzo and toast until golden brown. Add onion and garlic and remaining
                      orzo, cook for 2 minutes. Heat the water in a pot and add to the orzo as
                      if you were making risotto, a little at a time, until the pasta is al
                      dente. Finish with the cooking liquid and remaining butter. Add chopped
                      parsley and salt and pepper to taste. To Serve: Spoon orzo onto a
                      large platter and arrange lamb shanks on top. Drizzle with reduced sauce
                      and sun-dried tomatoes. Recommendations: Bobby suggests serving this
                      dish with an oloroso sherry. This recipe is property of Bolo.
                      Permission to publish is required. Please contact KB Network News at
                      212-777-3455. Thank you. Copyright 1998 StarChefs. All rights reserved.
                      NOTES : Bobby Flay By shade <liveoak@polaris.net> on Jul 26, 1999 MM by
                      H PeagramPer Serving (excluding unknown items): 16132 Calories; 1548g Fat
                      (89.2% calories from fat); 62g Protein; 362g Carbohydrate; 18g Dietary
                      Fiber; 1241mg Cholesterol; 17864mg Sodium. Exchanges: 17 1/2
                      Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 6 Vegetable; 309 Fat.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0
                      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Comment

Working...
                      X