Coconut Flour Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Flour Question

Okay, another quick question for those of you who cook with coconut flour.

Is unsweetened shredded coconut the same as coconut flour? Normally I use almond flour but I'd like to try cooking with coconut flour too. Since I'm going to Trader Joe's this weekend to price out a pound of the stuff (versus finding an inexpensive source online) I'd like to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Also, where does everyone else buy their coconut flour online? I'm moving back to the midwest in the spring where there are no Trader Joe's so I've got to find a good source sooner or later anyway.

kam904s, No, coconut flour is not the same as shredded coconut. The latter is just dessiccated (sp?) coconut meat whereas coconut flour is made from the "pulp" that remains after coconut oil has been extracted. It's defatted coconut basically. I got mine from the local co-op but it's cheaper online. I wanted to try a small amount first before buying a 5lb bag from Amazon.

Comment

I tried blitzing dessicated coconut into coconut flour..... needless to say it didn't work!

Comment

Agreed. The two would not be interchangeable in recipes.

I've bought coconut flour from Tropical Traditions online, and I've also bought Bob's Red Mill brand at a few different places, including Whole Foods market. Both are good.

I live near two Trader Joe's, and neither one carries coconut flour.

If you buy from Tropical Traditions, wait for a sale; they occasionally have a buy 1, get 1 free sale.

Even though it seems fairly pricey, a bag lasts for a very long time, because you really don't use that much of it in recipes.

Comment

I love baking with coconut flour! If you need recipes, just ask!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
          -John Lennon

Comment

lil_earthmomma, I'm asking you for the recipes How is the blog plan coming along?

Comment

Yes, please, recipe me!

Comment

I just further grind up dried coconut & use it, it works beautifully in my recipes..

Comment

I bought the 5 lb bag of Aloha Nu from Amazon.com. I am storing half in the freezer and the other half in the refrigerator. It keeps well. I also bought a book called "Cooking with Coconut Flour" and have tried several recipes. So far the best one is the chocolate cake. I keep a loaf of coconut bread on hand all the time, too.

The textures are very different from typical food. But so far, I'm enjoying it. I also go through TONS of eggs. For example, the chocolate cake recipe called for 12 eggs. lol

Comment

JamieBelle, just yesterday I was thinking of making CF Chocolate cake for friends we're entertaining next week. I have a recipe for a CF Bread. I was thinking of adding cocoa and molasses/maple syrup to it. But I think a tried and tested recipe would be better. Mind sharing the recipe?

Comment

I go through a good amount of coconut flour. My one good suggestion, if you don't have one already buy yourself a sifter. I find it clumps easily.

I made a gluten-free german chocolate cake (Elana's Pantry) with coconut flour and it was phenom! http://www.twitpic.com/nrdod

I also made pumpkin bread with it, banana bread, cranberry/walnut bread. I like the consistency way better than with regular flour. And the best thing about it, you don't feel like you've got a big ball of dough sitting in your stomach after you're done gorging!

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

Slightly off-topic, what sweeteners do you all use when baking with CF? I like Elana's recipes, but they ALL use Agave nectar.

LTC, will check out the picture at home, can't open it here at work. The recipe sure sounds delicious.

Comment

maba, I've substituted with everything from unsweetened apple sauce, to yukon syrop, to stevia. It all works.

Comment

Ok, I will share some recipes!

As for my blog, it's in the works, but coming slowly, mostly because I've had two sicko toddlers.

I use honey or maple syrup in small amounts. I'm of the mind that sweeteners are all "bad" for you, so moderation and small amounts are key.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
                            -John Lennon

Comment

Ugh, tell me about it.

I'm week 32 today and I was *starving* earlier, with no way to get any sort of primal food in me, so I broke down and ended up with a friend at a fast food place. I examined the menu and got a burger (no bread), salad (no dressing) but I was still starving so I thought I'd opt for a kid's size milkshake, thinking that the sugar wouldn't be that big a deal, I'm not completely primal yet and I've only been off sugar two weeks, and besides, hey, milk! Right? Wrong.

I feel so very, VERY sick. My heart is racing way faster than it should be and it's like my lunch is sitting like lead in my gut. I've learned my lesson. Almonds in the purse henceforth. I can't IF until the baby's born but I can sure buy two burgers and throw away the bread rather than do this to myself again. X_X

Comment

Working...
                              X