Herring!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herring!!!

I bought a couple fresh, wild sardines from the store. About half pound total. I'm almost positive they are herring. Anyways, I'd never had it before. I'm in heaven! This fish is awesome. I could see myself eating a lot of this in the future...

Also, I don't really know how to cook it. I just threw it in the pan, added water, and turned it on. Please feel free to offer suggestions on preparing it. Just keep in mind that pans/pots are all I have.

Herring is a great fish. Delicious, nutritious, tasty - it's the bones that are the problem! But well worth getting. I believe it is one of the best sources of omega 3?

Comment

Oooh, herring is good! I love marinated herring. Topped with curry+egg salad, it's just heaven!

It's a little time consuming to make. I had Google translate the process, so I'm not sure it all makes 100% sense, but here goes:
      Marineret sild

I plan on trying to make them from scratch, some day, to avoid all the preservatives and sugars in the industrial made ones.
      Last edited by Bissen; 05-23-2011, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
        Herring is a great fish. Delicious, nutritious, tasty - it's the bones that are the problem! But well worth getting. I believe it is one of the best sources of omega 3?
        It's as nutritious as any fish pound for pound. I looked it up with salmon on nutrition data. I would probably take herring with the slight victory actually because of mineral/vitamin content. The taste is delicious. Wild, fresh herring is fairly cheap and easy to get. Ya the bones kind of sucked...but eating with your hands and a scraping knife makes them no match for me! I see myself eating a lot of delicious herring in the future.
        Last edited by wiltondeportes; 05-24-2011, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Don't! I'll be leaving my work early and sneaking off to the fishmongers if I think about herring any more! And herring roe (milts) are also delicious....

Comment

The Dutch way is my favorite way of eating it: marinated fish & onion straight into the mouth, hehe!
            Soused herring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            I eat 1 or 2 of this fishes at least once a week and cannot get enough of them!
            (I guess similar to the Danish way?!)

Comment

Oh yeah. Herring fillets, salt and pepper, skin side down on a hot pan until almost cooked through, flip for 10 seconds. Lemon juice. Nosh.
              My primal journal
              You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
              In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                I bought a couple fresh, wild sardines from the store. [snip] Please feel free to offer suggestions on preparing it. Just keep in mind that pans/pots are all I have.
                Lived in Europe for many years, where I acquired a taste for fish and eggs. Kippers and eggs are awesome (kippers are herring), a personal fav. Likewise, salmon soup makes a great breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Idioteque View Post
                  The Dutch way is my favorite way of eating it: marinated fish & onion straight into the mouth, hehe!
                  Soused herring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  I eat 1 or 2 of this fishes at least once a week and cannot get enough of them!
                  (I guess similar to the Danish way?!)
                  I just checked soused herrings out... I don't know all the different variations of neither soused or marinated herring, but the ingredients seem different, but with somewhat same procedure.

I'll have to add homemade marinated herring to my list of foods-to-try list

Smoked herring from (especially famous on Bornholm, a tiiiiny Danish island) are really great too, but I guess not so easy to make yourself...

Comment

My mom was marinating herring and makerel when I was growing up, I used to love it; it actually rarely got to the "properly marinated" point, I was eating it almost raw haha. I am not sure how she was doing it though, if I remember I will ask (I don't think it was very complicated, I remember salt, vinegar and onions, and officially they should stay in the marinade for at least 2 days but I was most of the time starting to eat them after half a day ).

However, since in NL, I just buy it directly soused, other people did it for me and it is delicious so I never have to think about the recipe.

Good luck if you try

Comment

I'm looking for some herring recipes myself too; so far I've cooked only two ways: marinated and cooked in the oven. I like the 2nd option more. There's nothing as good as frying different colored onions in butter to go together with hot cooked herring and cold natural raw milk and have some veggies on the side as well.

I don't struggle with bones the way you guys do. I remove them after cooking -- they are easily removable. If you care about those little tiny bones, don't worry, you'll get used to them. I think they'll be even good for you with their calcium.

I was thinking about a recipe like this:
                      - Cream
                      - Herring sliced into small pieces
                      - Onions
                      Cooked on a pan. I might try something like this.

Comment

My main question right now is what should I not eat?

Should I not eat the scales?

Is there an organ or collection of waste or something that I should not eat?

I used to know how to clean a fish, but it has been ages.

Comment

From the fish? Just clean the insides, the ears and the scales. Fried fish eyes/head are good . If you marinate the fish, cannot guarantee for it so maybe it's good to discard the head as well??

Comment

Originally posted by Idioteque View Post
                            From the fish? Just clean the insides, the ears and the scales. Fried fish eyes/head are good . If you marinate the fish, cannot guarantee for it so maybe it's good to discard the head as well??
                            Cleaning the fish... Obviously, I could go look how to do this elsewhere, but any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by wiltondeportes View Post
                              Cleaning the fish... Obviously, I could go look how to do this elsewhere, but any tips?
                              Ask your fishmonger to do it! I just can't fiddle about with the guts etc - puts me off eating it. And I love kippered herring - the ones from Craster in Northumberland are awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X