Bone broth - what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone broth - what am I doing wrong?

I eat tons of fried chicken wings and collect all the bones. I try to make broth out of them but it never becomes a clear jelly, it turns into a white liquid. The only time I manage to make an actual jelly when I'm making chicken soup and only cook for a few hours and use meaty bones like wings or a whole chicken. But it doesn't always become jelly either. I need a method that consistently makes good broth.
    I make it like this:
    Boil the bones without any spices, turn down the heat and let it simmer overnight. In the morning I put in salt, spices, vegetables and let it simmer like that.

How much water do you use? I like to just cover the bones / skin / cartilage etc - to much water and there won't be enough concentration of gelatine to achieve a gel.

Comment

I don't like to use too little because it happened a few times that the water disappeared and the bones burnt. But in the morning the water usually just covers the bones.

Comment

A pressure cooker is good. My broth always gels. It also cuts the overnight thing down to about three hours. (2 hours for chicken bones.) I don't really measure the bones. My eight-quart pressure cooker has a colander. I fill the colander w/bones, and fill the cooker to the max line. Bring to pressure for one hour. Depressurize and fill to max line again. Bring to pressure for one hour. Repeat.
        "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

You'll probably get it right w/o, but chicken feet will definitely enhance the gelling. I plan on making chicken feet broth soon. http://nourishedkitchen.com/chicken-feet-stock/

Comment

Hmm I'd be a little worried about consuming chicken bone broth. Even bone broth using organic chicken bones have been found to contain concerning levels of lead... and somehow I doubt your fried chicken is organic...

J A MOnro, R Leon, B K Puri. The risk of lead contamination in bone broth diets. Med Hypotheses. 2013 Apr;80(4):389-90.

If you don't have time to read the study, click <a href="http://www.nutritionfacts.org/video/...ion-bone-broth">here</a> for a brief 4 minute video explaining the science behind it.

Considering the bones of all animals sequester lead I would be concerned with consuming bone broth from any animal, not just chicken. Also non-organically farmed animals are very often fed fish products which contain high levels of lead and other toxic heavy metals. It would be expected that bone broth from these sources would have substantially higher levels of lead then that above in the above study.
            Last edited by GoVegan!; 05-10-2017, 05:23 PM. Reason: Fix one of the links

Comment

Yes, only the broth from vegetables will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry H View Post
                Yes, only the broth from vegetables will do.
                Hope your chicken feet broth gelled well and tasted divine!

There is a time and a place for broth made with veggie scraps... but it simply is not comparable to the real deal...
                Trust your thoughts, inner voice and the messages that are showing up in your life.

Comment

Originally posted by lovebird View Post

There is a time and a place for broth made with veggie scraps... but it simply is not comparable to the real deal...
                  Certainly not comparable in terms of lead content... Any thoughts on the study I posted? You know about the dangerous levels of lead in bone broth...

Comment

Go Cubs!

Comment

Hope your chicken feet broth gelled well and tasted divine!

[QUOTE=lovebird;n2998830]

Amen!

Comment

Originally posted by Terry H View Post

Amen!
                        So you too are going to ignore the study I posted... and the high levels of lead found in bone broth?

Comment

Originally posted by GoVegan! View Post
                          So you too are going to ignore the study I posted... and the high levels of lead found in bone broth?
                          You're making assumptions based on the fact that nobody wants to join into an argument with someone who is not into PB at all, I mean you picked your forum name with a reason...

However, I'll entertain... I did read the abstract you linked to, did not bother to listen to dr. Michael Greger, as he is far too biased with his vegan propaganda and checked the internet for other opinions on that study and got lucky.

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-...al-hypotheses/

https://chriskresser.com/bone-broth-...-be-concerned/

You are free to do/eat/drink whatever you please, as am I and all the others around here. ☼

Trust your thoughts, inner voice and the messages that are showing up in your life.

Comment

You're making assumptions based on the fact that nobody wants to join into an argument with someone who is not into PB at all, I mean you picked your forum name with a reason...

That's quite a big assumption from you too. I'm very much into Paleo, I follow a strict paleo diet. I eat no processed food what-so-ever!

If I could get my hands on wild game not the BS farmed meats that are full of antibiotics (and so much other crap) and have 20 times the saturated fat of a true paleo meat source I would consider eating them. But guess what you just can't find that stuff where I live, so yes I follow a vegan paleo diet. I think it is much healthier than following a junk food paleo diet that contains meat.

The amount of people who eat processed meat (bacon sausages ect) or even dairy and think that is paleo or even remotely healthy is ridiculous! This is not paleo, this is not healthy!

However, I'll entertain... I did read the abstract you linked to, did not bother to listen to dr. Michael Greger, as he is far too biased with his vegan propaganda and checked the internet for other opinions on that study and got lucky.

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-...al-hypotheses/

https://chriskresser.com/bone-broth-...-be-concerned/
                            I did not bother to read those links as they are far too biased with their animal products propaganda....yeah see how that works, not an argument. Is there anything from those articles you would actually like to discuss?

Comment

Originally posted by JoanieL View Post
                              A pressure cooker is good. My broth always gels. It also cuts the overnight thing down to about three hours. (2 hours for chicken bones.) I don't really measure the bones. My eight-quart pressure cooker has a colander. I fill the colander w/bones, and fill the cooker to the max line. Bring to pressure for one hour. Depressurize and fill to max line again. Bring to pressure for one hour. Repeat.
                              Yup. Pressure cooker does a great job. Healthy gelatinous bone broth in a fraction of the time!

As another post stated water to carcass ratio counts too. You may have too much fluid. Chicken feet where another great recommendation.

Comment

Working...
                              X