Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese Short Ribs: Is this Recipe Primal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Short Ribs: Is this Recipe Primal?

I believe my recipe is primal but just wanted to double check and get these in the slow cooker. I am subbing olive oil for canola.

Chinese Braised Short Ribs

Ingredients
    1 large onion
    4 pounds beef short ribs
    Lemon pepper, to taste
    Garlic salt, to taste
    2 tablespoons canola oil
    2 cups low-sodium beef broth
    1 packet beefy onion soup mix
    2 (14.5-ounce) cans tomatoes with green pepper, celery and onion
    2 tablespoons five-spice powder

Thanks!

Just check the ingredients of the broth, soup mix, and spice powder and make sure there are no ickies in it.

Comment

Depending on how primal you are/want to be, you could invoke the 80/20 rule for less desirable ingredients in your spices & condiments. As Mark says, it's about being good, not perfect.

Do your best, but don't sweat the small stuff, unless you're truly intolerant of certain ingredients.
      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
      CW: 146.8 lbs
      GW 140 lbs
      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

@ auh20girl Hmm ingredients in the onion soup mix: Onions (deyhydrated), salt, cornstarch, onion powder, sugar, corn syrup, hydrolyzed soy protein, caramel color, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, monosodium glutamate, yeast extract, natural flavors, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate.

I wonder what I can sub for this?

@belinda -- Thank you for your words of wisdom. Working on not sweating the small stuff and becoming less anal lol

Comment

Could you just use dehydrated onions and onion powder for the soup mix? I agree that there is no need to be perfect. However the MSG, soy, and corn syrup would be pretty unhealthy - even in small amounts, so I think it would be worth the effort to find a substitute. Also, can you use olive oil, beef tallow, butter, or bacon fat instead of canola in your recipe?
          Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

Originally posted by jammies View Post
            Could you just use dehydrated onions and onion powder for the soup mix? I agree that there is no need to be perfect. However the MSG, soy, and corn syrup would be pretty unhealthy - even in small amounts, so I think it would be worth the effort to find a substitute. Also, can you use olive oil, beef tallow, butter, or bacon fat instead of canola in your recipe?
            Good idea jammies! Thanks. In my original post, I mentioned I would be subbing olive oil for canola.

Comment

Here is a recipe from allrecipes.com for homemade onion soup mix without all the icky ingredients. I've found all sorts of great subs on that site - Ranch dressing dip, taco seasoning, etc. Way healthier than what you buy pre-packaged.

Comment

Brilliant Jennf! Thank you!

Comment

Look closely at the beef bullion cubes you use in that recipe...a lot of those contain MSG as well.
                  iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

Comment

Working...
                  X