Sardine Recipes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sardine Recipes

I do like me some canned sardines, but I'd mostly eat them on a sandwich with avocado (since given up bread) and sauteed up over pasta (since given up pasta). I'm sort of stumped as to what I can make with them, usually don't have that problem!

Any ideas? Haven't seen them featured all that much on paleo blogs/sites so they might be overlooked!

First idea that comes to mind is to make them the featured protein in a BAS.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Comment

I was in a rush the other day so ate mine straight out of the can, mashed them, sprinkled on salt & pepper. And lived to tell the tale.
      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
      CW: 146.8 lbs
      GW 140 lbs
      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I'm afraid I've little creativity here: I eat them out of the can, smushed up with a dollop of spicy brown mustard.
        Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Originally posted by tangentrider View Post
          I'm afraid I've little creativity here: I eat them out of the can, smushed up with a dollop of spicy brown mustard.
          ditto. Or with a drip-drab of Vietnamese fish sauce.

Comment

I often eat them just plain. Sometimes with a few pieces of seaweed, sesame seeds and tamari. Before I really started liking them, I'd make something akin to tuna salad. Mix the sardines with chopped celery, onion, mustard, mayo, etc.

Comment

Right out of the can or rolled in lettuce leaves with avocado. That is how I eat liverwurst also. Rollups work well as a sandwich substitute.

Comment

Both the options you described (sandwich or pasta toppings) would work just fine over a pile of salad greens (add other salad stuff such as onions, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, pine nuts etc according to what you have available/what you eat/taste) with maybe an EVOO and balsamic dressing.

Last week I fried up some sardines with bacon, baby plum tomatoes and onion and then mixed it all together with a couple of soft boiled eggs and some hot sauce and sprinkled with a little grated cheese. I ate it from a bowl with a fork and it was delicious!
                I find most things that I used to enjoy on bread or pasta are equally delicious on salad or just eaten with a fork
                Bee
                Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
                Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
                My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

I mash the sardines and mix them with chopped mint, mayonnaise and smoked paprika. That's one of my staple lunches.
                  My food blog, with many PB-friendly recipes

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
                    I mash the sardines and mix them with chopped mint, mayonnaise and smoked paprika. That's one of my staple lunches.
                    great idea! I have mint herb plant doing very well and was wondering what to do with all that mint!
                    My primal journal
                    25yo female, height 5'7"
                    goal weight: 60kg / 155lb
                    goal fat%: 20%

current weight: 70kg / 154lb

“The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.”
                    ― W. Somerset Maugham

Comment

As suspected, nobody cooks with them, aside from making a "tuna" salad with them. Guess I'll have to do some experimenting on my own!

Comment

Take a large aubergine (eggplant), cut it into quarter inch slices, and salt them in a colander for 20 minutes. Meanwhile heat the oven to 180° C.

Take a tin of sardines and scrape into a bowl - mash bones with a fork. Add a dessertspoon of finely chopped parsley, juice of half a lemon, and two medium sized, ripe tomatoes, skinned and finely chopped and some ground black pepper. Mix together and taste - add some ore pepper or even a little salt if needed - it must be quite spicy.

Drain the juice off the aubergine, rub well with olive oil on both sides and put on non-stick tray. Bake in oven about 10 - 15 minutes - the slices need to be softening but not mushy.

Remove slices from oven and spoon teaspoons of the sardine mix onto the slices, spread to cover generously and put into oven for 10 / 15 minutes until really hot through.

These make a great starter. With a little green salad on the plate to provide a different texture and to cut the richness. Strangely enough, little pieces of crisply fried bacon crumbled on top before baking the sardine mix works very well too.

Comment

I love sardines too! I make mine into a salad:

Handful of crisp Romain, chopped
                          Handful of spinach, chopped
                          Can of Sardines in Olive Oil
                          Lemon juice
                          Salt and pepper to taste
                          Olives if you got 'em

Be sure to chop or else you'll have olive and fish oil all over your table, clothes and face.

I put all of the salad ingredients on a plate, lay the sardines on top, pour the olive oil from the can onto the greens, then squeeze the lemon juice on top (you can squeeze the juice through a strainer to catch the seeds). Salt and pepper to taste, and add some shaved parmesan.

Very Mediterranean. And fast to make.

Comment

Originally posted by tangentrider View Post
                            Oh this is me. LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X