Crustless quiche

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crustless quiche

Ok so I purchased the primal cookbook and tried the crustless quiche. It was a bit bland and I'm not sure why. I followed the recipe to a "T". I hope the other recipes have some sort of taste to them.
    Health is Wealth!

Bland for me usually means needs salt. I had been in the habit of not using it but the right amount is a necessity for things to taste the way I think they should.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

I've made several of Mark's recipes that are on the website and have come to the conclusion that he severely under-seasons. Of course, seasoning is all a matter of taste, but for me I tend to double (at least) the amount of seasoning recommended.

Comment

I find that almost ALL recipe books (not Indian!) underflavour. I have come to the conclusion that chefs / cooks don't really want to give away their secrets and have other people cook as well as them! Or is it that they are writing for a vast number of people, many of whom LIKE bland?

Certainly Delia Smith, for one, can do with her spices / herbs increased in a lot of recipes.

Comment

heres a good one
          Crustless Quiche in a Cup | Cooking with My Kid
          this is good too, omit the flour
          Egg McCup | Cooking with My Kid
          "It is not what you are that holds you back, it is what you think you're not."
          Denis Waitley

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
            Or is it that they are writing for a vast number of people, many of whom LIKE bland?
            this. I know a couple people who have written, tested or edited cookbooks and they were told by editors/publishers that their food was too strong for mainstream audiences. I also know a guy who had a travel show on food network briefly, and he was told that middle America "wasn't ready" for Ethiopian food. They made him go to a bbq place instead, one which they'd featured on dozens of other shows. yawn.

Comment

Bland recipes don't really bother me as I tend to pick my own seasonings. I tend to see many of them as a starting point or a base. Is this in the quick recipes cookbook? I don't have that one but for a crustless quiche or egg tart I like to blanch asparagus then cut it in half to make it shorter (or use tips) and make a spiral fan in the bottom of the pie pan. Crumble some fried bacon over that or mix it in with the egs, pour the eggs over top and put a layer of sliced tomatoes on top then bake.

If you have the first cookbook the broccoli and beef recipe is really good.
              Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                I've made several of Mark's recipes that are on the website and have come to the conclusion that he severely under-seasons. Of course, seasoning is all a matter of taste, but for me I tend to double (at least) the amount of seasoning recommended.
                Good idea.
                Health is Wealth!

Comment

Didn't this recipe use nutmeg? I think nutmeg in eggs just sounds nasty so I just used onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes. cayenne pepper and black pepper. It turned out pretty good and spicy. I also added just a touch of very sharp aged cheddar.

Comment

nutmeg is good in eggs, but it should be really subtle, in addition to the other flavors.
                    my primal journal:
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Working...
                    X