What do you do with cilantro?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do with cilantro?

I decided to expand my little balcony herb garden beyond basil this year, and I added cilantro and mint. I'm also getting a bunch of cilantro in my CSA box this week.

Honestly, I'm kinda stumped as to what to do with it ... I started doing some searches and found lots of promising recipes, but I'm putting it out to the PB peeps ... how do you use it? If you're just going to run pick some cilantro and throw it into something ... what do you throw it into?
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

SALSA! Chopped onions, diced roma tomatos and finely chopped cilantro makes a delicious salsa It's so good in guacamole as well.

Comment

Put it on any type of Mexican food. I also like it on salads.

Comment

I chopped some and used it to coat a London broil along with garlic, a touch of cumin, and other spices. It was really good.

Comment

Use it to garnish any curry-type dish. If you eat yogurt you could make this: Cucumber-Mint Raita Recipe at Epicurious.com
          and garnish it with cilantro too.

Comment

Salsa is perfect. Cilantro Chimichurrie marinade or sauce - cilantro minus stems plus lots of garlic in the food processor with olive oil and vinegar.

Comment

i've made a pesto (similar to the chimichurri above) - cilantro, olive oil, parm, lime juice, walnuts or pecans, and a serrano or jalapeno, all in the food processor. I used to use it w/ pasta, but if you thin it out, it makes a nice salad dressing. I like mine real lime-y.

Comment

put some in guacamole, adds nice flavour in chicken or beef soup

Comment

Originally posted by ennasirk View Post
                  I decided to expand my little balcony herb garden beyond basil this year, and I added cilantro and mint. I'm also getting a bunch of cilantro in my CSA box this week.

Honestly, I'm kinda stumped as to what to do with it ... I started doing some searches and found lots of promising recipes, but I'm putting it out to the PB peeps ... how do you use it? If you're just going to run pick some cilantro and throw it into something ... what do you throw it into?

HEY wassup. You and I are almost neighbors!
                  Cilantro is the star in my Chinese chicken Salad!
                  It goes great in soups and on sandwiches too!
                  My name is Matt and I am a Beef Jerky Wizard.
                  www.greenlightjerky.com

Comment

Originally posted by seaclam View Post
                    Salsa is perfect. Cilantro Chimichurrie marinade or sauce - cilantro minus stems plus lots of garlic in the food processor with olive oil and vinegar.
                    chimichuri is fantastic on fish or pork
                    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Nothing. I don't like it
                      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                      CW: 146.8 lbs
                      GW 140 lbs
                      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I love cilantro. Before thinking about serving to guests, though, to some people it tastes like soap, dirt or smelly gym socks. It's genetic.
                        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                          I love cilantro. Before thinking about serving to guests, though, to some people it tastes like soap, dirt or smelly gym socks. It's genetic.
                          I'm one of those people who can't stand it. The smell literally upsets my stomatch and puts me off my food. I don't understand how you people can eat it!
                          My food blog, with many PB-friendly recipes

Comment

Also used a lot in Thai food.
                            "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I love it too. Put it in guac, salsas, chimichurri - that's one of my favorites. Cilantro chimichurri is great on salmon. Last night I made a pot of mulligatawny-type soup - a chicken based soup with greens and veggie odds and ends. Add turmeric, crushed coriander seed, fresh ginger. At the table I served different garnishes: plain yogurt, chopped cilantro, chopped jalapenos, diced avocado, lime wedges. I like lots of flavor! I use cilantro to garnish rather than cook with because cooking it destroys the fresh flavor of it - like many herbs.
                              Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

Working...
                              X