Farmers Market Shopping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmers Market Shopping

For those of you that shop at farmers markets, do you go with a list of things to get (like you would at a grocery store) or just pick up what looks good/has a good price?

My work schedule changed recently so now I can't wait to go to the farmers market a few times a week! However, I normally go through my recipe books & then pick up what I need.

Depends for me. Berries are always on the list and usually tomatoes. Most of the time I just wing it and then plan my meals around what I bought. I can`t wait for farmer`s markets!!
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

I just get what has a good price and looks appealing. That's the best part- not knowing what you'll end up with.

Comment

I always have a list, but I am open to buying something new as well, as different veggies/fruits come into season or someone has goose eggs, etc...
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Most farmers markets have websites that will say whats in season. You will get used to what you can usually find after a few trips. Then if something just looks really good. Change your meal plan for the week. I usually leave one or two days a week open and just improvise.
          Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
            I always have a list, but I am open to buying something new as well, as different veggies/fruits come into season or someone has goose eggs, etc...
            Thats pretty much what I've been doing.

Comment

Farmer's Market Goodies picked up today:

Grass Fed Beef - Round roast
              Pasture Pork - Smoked pork chops and Smoked bacon
              Organic Pasture eggs: 3 dozen (still have 1 dozen left from last weekend's trip to the FM)
              Veggies: organic romaine and organic cucumber (still not a whole lot of local produce available.)

Comment

Metric, that looks awesome!

BF and I hit up Ithaca yesterday. Not much produce but I did walk away with some duck eggs and Japanese yams. Couple of treats I can only really get there.

Comment

Oops. Posted in the wrong thread. Meant to post in this one: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread56122.html

Oh well.

Comment

No need for a list when you know what you like to eat. Just head in and get what suites you!

Comment

a little of both. I usually make a list, and I usually end up coming out of there with way more shit than was on my list. There always seems to be something else I'd like to try so I just grab it and throw it in the cart along with everything else.

Comment

Unfortunately our farmers market is too small to reliably predict what is going to be on sale there. Not much point in writing a list. Sometimes I spend a fortune and come away with bags full other times one or two items. At the moment most ducks/hens are off the lay here, so we can't get eggs - I hate supermarket ones because I never really trust that they are truly 'free range'.

Also, our farmers market is organic only which really limits the produce that can be sold there. There are other local producers who are not organic whom I often purchase from at their gate.

Comment

Working...
                        X