OK, how do I make hard boiled eggs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, how do I make hard boiled eggs?

I have been trying and trying to make perfect hard boiled eggs with firm whites and runny yolks but keep failing. If I do get the egg part right the shell is impossible to get off without picking it off in a million pieces. So, anyone got some tricks that I am missing. Someone told me I should add some salt to the water, does this really help with shell removal? Something so simple shouldn't be this difficult...
    “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

I did this accidentally yesterday!! Wai t- who cares about peeling the shell off in a million pieces? If the egg part is good, then it doesn't really matter.
    I add 1 tsp of salt always. I filled it to cover the eggs, let it boil, once it boiled I let it sit there for like 30 seconds (accidentally) then took it off. I left it for like 3-5 minutes sitting in the hot water but OFF the stove. Then I got rid of the hot water and replaced it with room temperature/cool water.

Comment

The trick is cooking them just long enough to set the whites so they can peel easily while leaving the yolk semi-runny (if you want full on runny, you'll have to keep the whites pretty soft and risk them being fragile). For me, boiling around 7 minutes does the trick. Also, putting them into cold water after cooking keeps them from cooking further (takes heat out and prevents it from traveling in toward to yolk) and I think It also makes them easier to peel. Peeling under running water seems to help also.

Comment

Originally posted by yodiewan View Post
        The trick is cooking them just long enough to set the whites so they can peel easily while leaving the yolk semi-runny (if you want full on runny, you'll have to keep the whites pretty soft and risk them being fragile). For me, boiling around 7 minutes does the trick. Also, putting them into cold water after cooking keeps them from cooking further (takes heat out and prevents it from traveling in toward to yolk) and I think It also makes them easier to peel. Peeling under running water seems to help also.
        Boiling for 7 minutes??? Really? I set my stove on high and once it started bubbling intensely I took it off the stove and they came out PERFECT.

Comment

I put the eggs in a pot. Fill pot with water just enough so the eggs are completely covered.
          Put covered pot on stove, turn on burner and bring to a boil. Once it becomes a nice rolling boil, remove the pot from the heat and let sit for 20 minutes covered. Then pour out water and either fill the pot with ice water or transfer the eggs to a container with ice water, just for a few minutes. The hot to cold should help the membrane separate from the egg.
          -dennis

Comment

I just read an article that the shell doesn't peel well off of FRESH eggs. A couple days old is best. I'll try that out tonight ~ I know you'll be waiting breathlessly

Comment

FWIW, I do the same as d2mini and it works quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by d2mini View Post
                I put the eggs in a pot. Fill pot with water just enough so the eggs are completely covered.
                Put covered pot on stove, turn on burner and bring to a boil. Once it becomes a nice rolling boil, remove the pot from the heat and let sit for 20 minutes covered. Then pour out water and either fill the pot with ice water or transfer the eggs to a container with ice water, just for a few minutes. The hot to cold should help the membrane separate from the egg.
                I am going to try this exact method soon. When I do I will report back here with my results.

Originally posted by ToniWA View Post
                I just read an article that the shell doesn't peel well off of FRESH eggs. A couple days old is best. I'll try that out tonight ~ I know you'll be waiting breathlessly
                This is good to know too! I just bought 4 dozen eggs at the farmers market so I guess I will have to wait a bit
                Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

The OP has described a soft-boiled egg ... which I always used to eat in an egg cup. That avoids the need to peel

Put the boiled egg in the egg cup, knock the top 1/4 off the egg with a knife, lightly salt the egg, then scoop out of the shell with a spoon! mmmmm...
                  Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                  Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                  CW: 146.8 lbs
                  GW 140 lbs
                  A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                    The OP has described a soft-boiled egg ... which I always used to eat in an egg cup. That avoids the need to peel
                    Ah yes, i missed the "runny yolk" part. That's not "hard" boiled. My instructions above were for hard boiled. But the hot to cold thing might still help.
                    -dennis

Comment

Put the eggs in cold water and then boil it. After it reaches to a boiling pt then I lower(super low) the fire for 3 minutes. I end it by leaving in the hot water for 5-8 minutes.

Comment

For soft boiled eggs (where the yolk is still runny), I start by putting the eggs in a pan with cold water, then turning on the heat. Once they reach a rolling boil, turn off the heat and set the time for 4 minutes. (7 if you want the yolk mostly set but still sort of jellyish, 10 if hard boiled)
                        ~ Chris

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.

When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment.

I told them they didn’t understand life.
                        — John Lennon

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post

Put the boiled egg in the egg cup, knock the top 1/4 off the egg with a knife, lightly salt the egg, then scoop out of the shell with a spoon! mmmmm...
                          This is exactly how I've eaten soft boiled eggs my entire life, but I don't think it's an American thing. However you can now buy egg cups at places like Crate and Barrel, etc. My dad was Army, and my folks lived in Germany in the late sixties when my bro and I were born. We then went back and did a three year tour when I was a kid. We ate them several days a week - could pick which cup we wanted. We have tons of these cups now - all different designs. I love eating soft boiled eggs like this and have never peeled them - just whack the top of with a firm hit with the butter knife... exactly what Belinda said. Yum!

Soft boiled eggs are often referred to as 2 min eggs. Or I guess you can cook a little less or more depending on preference.

Here is an egg in a cup.

Here are overly detailed directions for cooking egg in a cup.
                          My journal

Comment

This is interesting reading...Great pix of different stages.
                            How to Make Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs | Serious Eats

Summary, start with cold water, 6 cups (very important), bring to barely a simmer, turn off, let sit for 10 minutes or more. If you use less wter it coos down too fast.

Comment

Adding salt and vinegar to the water supposedly make the eggs easier to peel. Pricking a small hole in the ends (with a pin/needle or something) is also said to have an impact. Can't really say I have noticed much of a difference though. It seems to be more variation between different batches of eggs than the various preparation methods.

Personally, I have a rather wide acceptance range for eggs--raw to hard-boiled, I can eat them in any state--so I don't really care too much about the consistency.
                              Last edited by norak; 05-03-2011, 05:04 AM.
                              Norak's Primal Journal:
                              2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                              2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                              2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Working...
                              X