I tried kidney. . its actually pretty good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I tried kidney. . its actually pretty good

I was a little scared but brave at the same time, i took the dive and bought 1.5lb of beef kidney at publix last night, what the hell . . its like a dollar a pound!

Didn't do anything fancy, soaked in brine for ~1hour, then sauted it in garlic butter and onion for ~5minutes, i put some siracha on it (hot sause) and it was pretty good. Consistency of mushrooms with a little taste of liver.

anyhoo, i suggest it if you've been wanting to get into organ meat.
    Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
    Current Weight: 266lbs
    High-school Weight: 235lbs
    Goal: ????

I LOVE kidneys! Have you tried lamb kidney?Milder and very good. Devilled kidneys are ace.

Comment

My mum used to make a killer steak & kidney pie. Of course, now I can't eat the pastry, but I should ask for her meat recipe. I think it would be great with cauliflower mash.
      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
      CW: 146.8 lbs
      GW 140 lbs
      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I think I actually like kidney more than liver. It makes a great masala!

Comment

Hmmm... I remember liking kidney as a kid. I have no idea how my Mom prepared them but it was very good.
          Last edited by Omni Blender; 04-26-2011, 01:43 AM.

Comment

omg but lamb kidneys are delish!!! fry up bacon & leave the fat in the pan. saute onions in the fat & add the kidneys to them. serve with over-easy eggs & celery root/turnip hash browns. *drool*

Comment

Wonder how it would go down in a Thai sauce.......green or red?

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
                I think I actually like kidney more than liver. It makes a great masala!
                Yes, I like kidneys curried - my absolute favourite!!

Comment

Beef stew with kidney (and liver) one of my staples these days

Comment

Yikes, I made some kidneys last Sunday, lamb kidneys, and once the were about half cooked, my kitchen smelled like the state fair. Like the boxed-in animal pens. I tasted them, and they sure tasted like old pee. Not that I've ever tasted old pee... anyway, I asked around, and apparently some people can detect the, um, aroma, and don't like them, while others just love kidneys. My step-dad loves a good steak and kidney pie, but my mom can't tolerate the pee smell.

Comment

lol I'm with you - they taste and smell like old pee to me too. I love liver tho - duck, chicken and lamb liver yumm
                      Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Comment

Sweet. I saw them at my local Publix also and was debating giving them a try. I'm excited. My wife... is not.

Comment

i got some in my meat order this month, lamb's kidneys. i've been wondering what to do with them. kidneys and brains are the two cuts of offal i've been avoiding. what is an amazing recipe for a newb?

Comment

I have a bunch of fresh, grass-fed lamb kidneys, hearts, and livers coming in that my butcher is collecting for me, for my dogs. I've thought long and hard about sampling them. I'm pretty excited about the heart, I think I've worked up the nerve to try the liver... but I just don't think I can get over the urine smell of the kidneys. Does soaking them remove the urea, and if so, does it also remove the nutritional benefits along with the old pee?
                            “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
                            - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

Comment

Here's my kidney curry recipe - I just love it. Sounds fiddly - it's not, really!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread22551.html

Comment

Working...
                              X