Which Almond Flour?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Almond Flour?

I'm looking to get Almond Flour for the first time because it seems like a lot of recipes here call for it but I'm not exactly sure what to get. Whole Foods has Bob's Red Mill but it's $14+ for 1 lb so that's obviously out. Have people found it's cheaper to make their own with a food processor? If not, what brands do you guys use? I'm looking at Honeyville natural almond flour or blanched almond flour right now. It's $26.99 for 5 pounds + 4 or 5 for shipping. Is this a decent price? Not exactly sure if the natural or blanched is better but I'm hoping to learn.

Sorry if I seem lost. I'm pretty new to primal and have only been transitioning over the past 1.5 months or so. I've been lurking in the forums and trying to learn as much as possible here but there's a lot of info to assimilate all at once.

You can get some at Trader Joes $3.99/lb

Comment

I don't use almond flour that much so I've found that Bob's Red Mill isn't too bad even though it is expensive. Almonds are expensive, too, and I figure it'd be just as expensive to make my own.

I have been using coconut flour a lot more lately and am pleased with it so far.

Comment

I purchased a 5lb bag of blanched almond flour from Honeyville and think it's great. I have made a lot of the recipes from Elana's Pantry and they have all turned out great!

http://www.elanaspantry.com/almond-flour-recipes/

Comment

I did get some coconut flour which isn't too bad, though I'm still not a huge fan of the coconut taste so I figured I'd maybe try the almond route. amandamarie, do you happen to know what the difference between the natural and blanched flours are? Should I choose the blanched?

Comment

Looks like Elana herself says to use only blanched in her recipes. Guess that solves that. Thanks for the help everyone.

Comment

The Trader Joe's is almond MEAL not flour--meaning it has the hulls one. I find its great for breading, crackers etc. Almond flour (hulls removed) makes fantastic pancakes and muffins...a little pricey but worth it for baking. Buy online as the Bobs Red mill is not that great and expensive.

Comment

yep thet blanced bakes and works the best like flour as stated above..

I get mine from honeyville too and it is great , I keep it in the fridge xoox Darlene

Comment

I get the 'meal' (cheaper), which is the almonds ground up with the skins. The blanched has the skins removed, so it is much better for cakes and muffins, since the texture is softer.

From what I understand, the skins have the abundance of starch in them, therefore your carb/ starch count may be reduced by using the blanched.

I just get mine from a bulk bin at a local 'whole foods' type of store (Marlene's).

Comment

Despite my professed love for almonds, Almond flour is one thing I've been hesitating to buy mainly because of its exhorbitant price. Will look for it in TJ. The Bob's Red Mill one is ridiculously priced in my co-op.

Sassa, I didn't know that skin is starchy. I soaked some almonds in salt overnight and skinned them this morning, am glad now that I did it.

Comment

Yes, Maba, soaking them is of good benefit:

Presoak organic raw almonds in distilled water overnight for quick germinal action. When soaked, almonds act as protein plus nitrogen. This protein helps your blood sugar stabilize throughout the rest of the day....Almonds exhibit an alkaline effect in the body. This means that alkaline rather than acidic substances are formed when Almonds are consumed. Soaking Almonds overnight before eating can further enhance the alkaline properties of this nut

The skin also contains Vitamin E absorbing properties for your body as well, so they are not necessarily evil.

Comment

My local Whole Foods sells the Bob's Red Mill stuff for $12-13, but I saw it at Walmart last week for $9. Just another option.

Comment

Have you taken a look at this?: http://www.justalmonds.com/Almond-Meal-Flour_c_9.html

I would rather buy a lot of it at this price than waste so much gas getting to a store that sells it at top retail.

This site allows you to buy it in bulk, which results to around $4.45/ lb!

Comment

This is where I get mine (sorry forgot to post it)

http://www.lucyskitchenshop.com/flour.html

much cheaper to buy in bulk even with shipping, than at Whole Foods. It makes AWESOME pancakes--my BF who is not really primal prefers them to the 'normal' ones.

Comment

My first 5 lb bag of Honeyville came the other day and it's great! Cost me $31 including the shipping, so not too bad...

I know other people have mentioned this one, but here's the direct link:

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/bla...dflour5lb.aspx

www.dontcallmesugar.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X