Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to heat up meat without cooking it more?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to heat up meat without cooking it more?

I'm new to cooking meat and I've ran into the trouble of heating meat without cooking it further. If I have leftover buffalo breakfast patties or steak strips for a stir fry, I don't want to lose that pink middle the next day when I reheat it. Help!

You're reheating at work, I assume? So you'd be using a microwave?
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Comment

Eat it cold. Or you could try not heating it to the point where it cooks more (think warm meat)
      In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

350 F for 10 minutes. Less if its a really thin cut of meat.
        My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

I'm not talking about eating at work, I work from home but rarely if ever use the microwave. I assume it infuses food with radioactive herpes and therefore avoid it. I'll try the oven!

Comment

I think this is an Open Problem in cooking. You're going to cook it some and meat won't be as good the second day.

That said, here's what I do with all my leftover meats. You need to invest in three things, all of which you can keep around indefinitely: a big bag of frozen onion/bell pepper blend (cheap), cumin (if you get whole cumin and grind it yourself you'll foodgasm when you taste it), and smoked paprika (seriously awesome). Saute onion/pepper blend in coconut oil or something. Meanwhile cut the meat into bite-sized pieces. Throw into pan with some cumin and smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Only keep it in there for like 3 minutes. It's fajitas you can eat with a fork. Guac makes it extra special. Cheese and sour cream are discretionary, of course, but I use them. I did this with roast chicken, braised beef heart, and a mix of the two, and neither got tough or dry.

Disclaimer: I have never had success reheating steak.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbySoFamous View Post
              I'm not talking about eating at work, I work from home but rarely if ever use the microwave. I assume it infuses food with radioactive herpes and therefore avoid it. I'll try the oven!
              From what I read, if you're within 500 meters of an operating microwave, you are boned anyway.
              You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

So you can reheat braised or roasted dishes in the oven, because those were heated pretty well anyway so more heat shouldn't dry them out too much.

Steaks, or tender cuts of meat, are pretty impossible to reheat. Unless you have sous vide water bath, in which case it's just so damn easy.
                "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Comment

The 350-400 F was in the oven on a warming container of sorts. Usually get its nice and hot, like I like to eat meat, yet not dry.
                  My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

maybe undercook what you know will be leftovers... or go for cold meat!

Comment

leave it out on the counter for a while to bring it to room temp, then put it on a warmed skillet on med-low until it's warm. or eat it cold.
                      my primal journal:
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Heat cooks, so the best you can do if you want warm or hot food is cook larger portions rare, then you can cut off a portion and reheat and still have good meat. I prefer rare meat, so I let come to room temp and eat it then. Otherwise you are stuck with small batch cooking.
                        This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                        Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

I usually steam the meat when I need to reheat it. I use a "grate" inset for my cooking pot, which leaves a gap between the boiling water and the meat/vegetables. I just cut up everything into smallish pieces and let the water boil for 3-4 minutes (with a lid on), then everything is warm but not really that much cooked.
                          Norak's Primal Journal:
                          2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                          2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                          2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Cooking for meat in terms of doneness only happens above ~50C/120F. Hence reheating is best done by heating something to around 50C and leaving the meat in it until the center of the meat is 50C (takes a while, longer than cooking it the first time). If you already cooked it medium you could go to 60C/140F.

Comment

Working...
                            X