Favorite kitchen gadget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite kitchen gadget

Ok not sure where to exactly put this but thought since this is recipes this would be a great place to put it.

What is your favorite kitchen gadgets???

Mine are...

scoops (great for making uniform meat balls)

baking sheets (use to cook all sorts of things and easy cleaning)
    Gretchen in Wyoming
    Princess to the King
    Mom of 3
    Grandma of 1
    Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

Steamer (for veggies) and a large well-seasoned cast iron frying pan for meats, fish and veggies.

Also a good set of knives.
    My Journal

Comment

Cast iron, Cuisinart hand/stick blender (it's a food processor, stick blender, whisk attachment in one!), slap chop, and of course my dehydrator!
      Liz
      Steve's Original
      CaveGirlEats

Comment

I love my immersion blender, it's great for soups and mashed cauliflower.

I also have a cheese slicer (cheese plane?) that I got years ago in The Netherlands (land of delicious cheese, yogurt and all things dairy). I use it to slice all kinds of things: mushrooms, cucumbers, zucchini, carrots. It's super fast and easy.

Good knives and a steel to hone them. I couldn't live without them! Thanks to my parents for their generous gifts the last couple Christmases we have a bunch of Cutco knives, they will last forever!

Ooooh, and I just got a cast iron wok, love that thing! I pretty much just keep that and my cast iron skillet on the stove at all times.
        My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

My cast-iron dutch oven and sharp knife. This is really all I need. Everything else is just for convenience's sake.

Comment

I have cooked with cast iron for the last 16.5yrs (got a large set as a wedding gift) and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I also ejnjoy my dehydrator. Hubby and son hunt but haven't gotten any thing last year so jerky hasn't been made for awhile.
            Gretchen in Wyoming
            Princess to the King
            Mom of 3
            Grandma of 1
            Bride to Steven

my blog Mama Goes Primal

Comment

I use my cast iron skillet and chef's knife pretty much daily. My current favorite gadget would have to be the garlic press (no more peeling those pesky skins!)

Comment

My favourite just now is certainly the ceramic crock I make sauerkraut in! And my slow cooker for chicken stock / rendering fat into lard.

Comment

Immersion blender, electric pressure cooker, good knives, and my stainless steel skillets from the restaurant supply store--my Le Creuset gets no love since I got those.

Comment

2nd the pressure cooker, though after killing two electrics I settled on a stove top model (Kuhn Rikon). I'm also really keen on my food processor and my V-slicer. They save me a lot of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Bead View Post
                      Immersion blender, electric pressure cooker, good knives, and my stainless steel skillets from the restaurant supply store--my Le Creuset gets no love since I got those.
                      What stainless steel skillets are you specifically speaking of? I'm interested.

Also, the food on your blog looks pretty damn tasty. If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, you should do something to separate the recipe itself from the rest of the post like using bullets, indentations, or bold headings. Keep up the great work!

Comment

Crock-Pot! Pork shoulder and ribs, beef roasts, and bone stocks are no match for me, even if I have to go to work or school for the day.

That's my only real gadget. A good knife, cutting board, and saute pan with lid get you pretty far in the primal world, I've found.

Comment

my Henkel chef knife, tongs, cutting board, and frying pans
                          Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Knives and wooden boards, cast- iron, stick blender/ whisk, microplane, mandolin, half sheet pans and silicon baking mats, and stainless steel calphalon pan. Everything else is icing in the cake (excluding spatulas, flippers, tongs, plates, forks, etc.)
                            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                            My Latest Journal

Comment

Sous vide supreme. Those of you who read Nom Nom Paleo will be familiar with sous vide. Like a crock-pot/slow cooker, only better. The ultimate in temperature control, allowing you to cook meat and eggs perfectly every single time (unlike poaching, stewing or braising).

Get a cut of meat, add seasoning and a dollop of fat/stock, and freeze. The day before you want the meat, move it from the freezer to the fridge. The morning before you want the meat, move it from the fridge to the sous vide supreme and set the temperature. When you get home, cooking is done (or will be done very soon with a quick blowtorching or frying, in the case of a roast or steak)!

Seriously, everyone who eats as much meat as we primal folks do should invest in one.
                              "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                              X