Please save my pork belly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please save my pork belly

Last time I roasted some, the crackling was fine, but the meat was distinctly tough. Please help me not to mess up the next lot!

The recipes I find seem to be for big roasting joints, and I just have a couple of slices 1-2 inches thick. How can I turn those into tender pork with good crackling?

(Also, any good sauce suggestions?)

Originally posted by Hilary View Post
    Last time I roasted some, the crackling was fine, but the meat was distinctly tough. Please help me not to mess up the next lot!

The recipes I find seem to be for big roasting joints, and I just have a couple of slices 1-2 inches thick. How can I turn those into tender pork with good crackling?

(Also, any good sauce suggestions?)
    I actually had a problem with the crackling being soft but the meat was perfect. Due to this I think the trick is cooking low and slow and finishing with high heat, skin side up under the broiler, to crisp the cracking. Also, if I had smaller pieces I would slice them into "chops" and pan fry. This is a popular cut of meat in the Netherlands and Germany. The skin gets crispy during cooking. Also, you can marinate them and cook on the grill, which is insanely good.
    Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Cook the meat, when it's ready take off the cracking, it should peel off and put that back in while you let the meat rest and carv.

Comment

Check out this Pork Belly recipe HERE. I cooked it the other week... YUM!!

Comment

Mm. I suppose with the smaller slices, I'd take that recipe and reduce the timings, as no way do my two little slices need 2.5 hours. I would guess that last time I overcooked it. I wonder what to reduce it to... any ideas? All those years of vegetarian cooking leave me without any instinct for this.

Comment

Working...
          X