I love griled fish - BUT how to not make it stick to the iron grill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love griled fish - BUT how to not make it stick to the iron grill

I have a non-seasoned iron grill and it sticks too much when I put fish on it to grill. Are there any tips I'm missing here not to make it stick too much? I tried coconut oil, didn't help much.

You could season the grill.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Brush it with olive oil while it`s heating?
      "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
      www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

I don't know how much coconut oil you put on the thing, but try a bigger glob of the stuff?

Comment

Brush with oil as it is heating.
          Julia
          Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
          Started Primal Mid January 2011
          Current Weight 183
          Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
          http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Comment

All of the above and drizzle olive oil on the fish before seasoning and cooking.

Comment

You have to rub the grill with oil after you wash it. It takes times for a grill to "season" just like any cast iron pan. Quickest method is to rub well with oil then put in the oven at 300F for an hour. Let cool, wash, re-oil. Then use plenty of oil rubbed on the fish--fish is always the worst for sticking. Don't they make some kind of glue out of fish scales?
              This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
              Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

I didn;t think that you washed seasoned pans, because it removes the seasoning? We rinse with hot water and use a scraper.

I would use more oil. When I cook fish, its swimming in coconut oil. YUM!
                SW: 235
                CW:220
                Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

I think if you put hot water into the grill it's ok. That's what I did, after the fish got stickied in the grill I poured some hot water into the grill and let it rest in the sink with the water. Then I had lunch and when I came back I removed the water and got paper towels to remove the stuff.

After cleaning it up I put a layer of olive oil with paper towel until I use it again.

I've seen an article about seasoning iron skillets and grills with flaxseed oil, but it involved you get it to the oven for 1 hour multiple times. You had to put put a layer on it of flaxseed oil, then put it in the oven for 1 hour, then let it cool off, then repeat a number of times. Too much work for me.

Comment

Seasoning cast iron isn't too bad since most of the process is waiting...just pick a cool day when you'll be home for a while. If you do decide to season it, I'd recommend using anything but flaxseed oil. You will get better results with saturated fats like coconut oil or lard.
                    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

When my husband seasons the pans, he uses peanut oil as it has a higher smoke point. I know peanut is bad though.
                      SW: 235
                      CW:220
                      Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                      Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                      Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                      Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

Originally posted by elorajade View Post
                        I didn;t think that you washed seasoned pans, because it removes the seasoning? We rinse with hot water and use a scraper.

I would use more oil. When I cook fish, its swimming in coconut oil. YUM!
                        I hand wash mine, but that's why you have to re-oil.
                        This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                        Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

If it still sticks, try cooking with Parchment paper. I bake my fish in the oven and its great.
                          Health is Wealth!

Comment

Don't mess with it.

If you let it cook enough, it'll go through a phase where it's sticky but then it will come back off again as the flesh continues to firm up. Just get a medium-high heat going, put the fish down...and DON'T TOUCH IT until it's ready to flip.
                            carl's cave

Comment

Originally posted by theholla View Post
                              You will get better results with saturated fats like coconut oil or lard.
                              I know that lard is the traditional fat recommended for seasoning cast iron, but really you probably get better results with flax or even soybean oil.
                              Please read: Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To

True, you would never want to consume those oils, but in seasoning, you are polymerizing the fat. From a nutritional point of view it really doesn't matter that much what kind of fat you use since it's changing into a polymer (if you're doing it right). In this case, you want an oil with a high iodine value. Soybean oil is among the highest and is very cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X