Educate me about seaweed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Educate me about seaweed

I like the idea of getting iodine via seaweed (food) rather than supps. However, I've never been a huge fan of the flavor. It's extremely salty and fishy to me...but maybe I'll be fine with it now, as it has been quite a few years since I tried it.

If you use seaweed, what do you do with it? What kind should I look for? I poked around a health food store yesterday and found myself rather confused by the different options...

Help?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

I just soak it in water(it softens up very quickly) and then throw it in a blender with other veggies and some fruit.

Because it can be so salty I wonder if you could grate it up somehow and sprinkle it on stuff, use it as a topping in salads or something.

Comment

Thanks, Raphaella. I'm not much of a smoothie person (particularly since I don't eat fruit often), but I like the idea of sprinkling a bit on salads.
      Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

What kinds are you eating? I had a shredded one from the Asian store and it was ok......in small amounts. More, and it was not pleasant tasting. And I love sushi, so am familiar with nori at least. I guess we will both be eating sashimi, with an avacado salad & soup now. He always gets sashimi, but I really love the rolls. Might still once in a blue moon, but the sashimi is so good too. Such delicate flavors.
        My Asian store had loads of different kinds of seaweed. I'll hve to write down some of the names and run them by y'all here. And I'm out of wasabi powder for our Salmon sashimi we do here at home. Love raw salmon, it is downright creamy tasting. And we're overdue to have it.
        Nanzi

Comment

Nori is the dried square (often roasted) sheets that you roll sushi in. So you can wrap anything you like in them, or scrunch them as salad toppings... be aware it absorbs water so can be a bit "drying" if you eat it straight from the packet (like crackers are).

Wakame is also dried, but is in a shredded form. This I soak briefly (you only need a small amount, it really rehydrates!!) then use in stir fries. I also used to use it in a millet/chickpea stew, and it was good for adding depth of flavour to such a bland dish.

Kombu is dried, wavy-shaped, thick "slabs". This is usually used as flavouring in soups and stews, then taken out and not eaten. I imagine its nutrients would still leach into the cooking broth though?

On the European side, there is also Lavabread - a Welsh thing that I've found in tins, essentially a "wet" rather than dried seaweed, with salt and seasoning, the kind of consistency to spread on bread etc. I've not worked out what to do with it yet!

Comment

I like putting cream cheese in nori strips and rolling them up.

Comment

I've put dried seaweed in seafood soup. There are some asian restaurants that make great seaweed salad.

I'm wondering if the radioactivity problem in Japan will affect the seaweed supply or if the seaweed they consume is harvested far from shore.

Comment

The problem I have with seaweed is that most of it tastes vile. I bought some very pretty multicoloured seaweed salad, and simply could not eat it. Unspeakably horrible.

Two that taste good: nori and dulse. Dulse wrapped round strong cheddar, or used to stuff mackerel, is great. Only problem is finding the stuff.

Also, I always put a sheet of kombu in the stockpot for the added minerals. Wonder if I could use up some wakame in the same way?

Comment

After my trip to Japan, I learned to absolutely LOVE seaweed. Wakame in soups is amazing, and I can eat toasted nori as is (especially okazunori, salted and perhaps flavoured?)

Take a sheet of nori and roll anything up.
                  I've never been a huge fan of hijiki and kombu, but I can easily eat it. (Only tasted kombu in soup stock though, but in one of the families I lived with, they ate it dried as a snack - it's VERy chewy :P).

Comment

The big book of seaweeds (it's in Japanese, but you can easily use the scientific names to do further digging)

pictures
                    names

The commonly eaten ones that I run into on a daily basis here n Japan are: kombu, nori, wakame, ao nori, hijiki, mozuku, and umi budou; all are delightful when properly prepared
                    Primal food in Japan

Comment

I've been munching on bags of Ottogi seaweed lately, throwing handfuls into soups and stews, but mostly just munching on it straight from the bag like you would chips (well, not you or me, but you get the idea ).

Nice salty, slightly sea like flavour.

Can't read the nutritional info on the back of the packaging, so no idea what's in and I think 'Ottogi' is actually the brand rather than the type of seaweed itself...
                      If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

I don't know what to say here. I use seaweeds like others use salt and pepper etal. Konbu is more fleshy so that is a major part of a stew or soup for me instead of a condiment. Konbu also is a good start for a broth, but beef shanks are better for me. Nori is good for rolling up anything. Anything. Also good crumbled in just about anything.

I saw a reference to hijiki earlier. That is tasty beyond belief and adds something special to a salad or a stew, but there are concerns about arsenic in hijiki.
                        Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

you can deep fly konbu and add bit of salt/stevia. make a nice chip. (no coating when you fry it) Koreans also eat fair amount of seaweed of various kind. using in soups and form of salads are most common. (depends on type of seaweed) if you look at korean cookbook, you will find a some decent recipe.

Comment

Laver bread, anyone? It's not bread at all, just boiled seaweed - a Welsh delicacy.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laver_(seaweed)

Great with slices of mushroom and an soft poached egg.

When I lived in Swansea, I could get this stuff really fresh on the market. It does travel and these folks will post worldwide: Laverbread Parsons Pickles

Here's a serving (in the ramekin) I made a short while ago:

Paul
                            http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                            http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Working...
                            X