My primal apple crisp!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My primal apple crisp!!!

I made a grain free apple crisp for (canadian) Thanksgiving, and wasn't overly pleased with the results. It was really soupy because I didn't add corn starch or flour or any thickener...

So today I experimented and came up with an awesome method that I plan on using whenever I make crisps, pies (with coconut flour) etc.

I boiled heavy whipping cream with a splash of vanilla and 2 tbsp of maple syrup until reduced. Then I cooked the apple slices with some cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger until they were softish but still firm (if that makes any sense! lol I just don't like mushy fruit!) Then I strained the cream and removed the fruit, added the cream back to the pot and let it really reduce. I took it off the heat, and added four egg yolks, and poured the liquid over the fruit in the baking dish.

I topped the apple mixture with chopped almonds and chopped pecans that I toasted and tossed in a tbsp of maple syrup. (This crisp fed 15 people so that's a pretty good amount of sugar I think!)

Baked at 350 for 15 min, served with unsweetened vanilla whipped cream.

It was thick and a bit creamy and so good. My guests couldn't believe how good it was.

It would be even better baked in individual ramekins.

Thought I'd share in case others were having trouble thickening fruit dishes.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

lil_earthmomma, this sounds absolutely delicious. I think I will try this out on our upcoming Thanksgiving. Thank you so much for sharing!

Comment

Yum!!! Sounds perfect for a fall dessert. . .be sure to enter this in Mark's cookbook contest!!

How much cream and how many apples for 15 people?

Comment

@ Catalina, hmmm....

I sliced and froze the apples last week, so I'm unsure, but enough to fill a huge glass lasagne pan, (which I greased with butter.)

As for cream I used a 500 ml carton, so 2 cups. I didn't quite pour all of the condensed sauce over the apples, just enough so that the liquid came up about 3/4 of the way to the top of the apples. (Hope that made sense.)

-John Lennon

Comment

that sounds so so so good. im gonna save this recipe for thanksgiving this year.

Comment

This sounds fabulous lil_earthmomma. Yeah, I agree with Catalina. Make sure to send this to Mark's cookbook contest. I still have to try your previous recipes, mushroom-crust quiche and the sauteed apples. I might make the quiche tomorrow.

Comment

I'm a bit of a foodie, and going Primal has only stretched me and forced me to grow and become more creative!!! I love it!

I'd really like to start a primal food blog... maybe when my toddlers are a little bigger! lol

Maba, let me know how you like the quiche!

-John Lennon

Comment

I was going to suggest just that in my previous comment but stopped short as I thought you'd mentioned on another thread that you have little kids and are strapped for time. If you do start one, please do share the blog link with us.

Comment

Sounds tasty...put the recipe in my long list of things to try.

Comment

I love being creative too! Definitely use this for the contest!

Comment

I made it into a recipe here: http://docs.google.com/View?id=df8kr2j4_488qqckq34b

Comment

lil_earthmomma, I sauteed a few apple slices in butter and topped it with cinnamon, ginger, and then froze them like you advised... SO GOOD! And topped with coconut milk...!

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

how much of each ingrediant? you don&#39;t say?

sounds very yummy xoxo Darlene

Comment

Sassa you are so helpful That sounds like an amazing dessert for company, and they won&#39;t even know it&#39;s not a "normal" apple crisp.

You are what you eat,
                            and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Working...
                            X