Liver= gross

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liver= gross

I tried liver for the second time tonight, I would love to like it, but both times I've tried it I really can't stand it. There's just something about the strong flavor that I find highly unpalatable. I hope I'm not the only one that feels this way. The first time I tried it I cooked it up with a bunch of onions, tonight I made meetza. I used 2lbs of ground beef and 1/3lb calves liver. The meetza is edible as far as I'm concerned, but it would be much better without the pesky liver taste.
    Is there any good way to include some liver in the diet without having to deal with the liver taste?
    I've thought about the curry or chili option but I am not too thrilled about screwing up some grassfed ground beef just to eat a tiny bit of liver.
    http://anikaskitchen.blogspot.com/
    My journal

Maybe try chicken livers first, to get used to the milder flavor and work up from there? Whenever I roast a chicken, I take the liver and fry it with onions, garlic, and lots of butter, then puree it and put it in the fridge to set. Next day, I have chicken liver pate...mmmmm.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I have too many bad memories of eating liver as a child, I can't even bring myself to try it again as an adult, even though I fully agree that it is good for you. I just can't do it, and I'm not a picky eater. My palate can tolerate almost anything.

Yup, Liver=gross. I agree.

Comment

Does Fois Gras count? MMMMMMMM yummy
        Julia
        Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
        Started Primal Mid January 2011
        Current Weight 183
        Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
        http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Comment

I tried calves liver last night with citrus and the liver-ness was greatly reduced. Still, if you can't stand the stuff...alas.
          Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Turn it into pate with a bunch of spices mixed in.
            I have to agree though, it tastes like shit..

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
              Turn it into pate with a bunch of spices mixed in.
              I have to agree though, it tastes like shit..
              I'm actually starting to like the stuff. I've no idea how this happened, for I've been an avowed liver-hater for nigh upon 5 decades. My mother, if she were alive, would faint from shock.

I agree that pate is a good starter: for some reason I always liked liverwurst (poor man's pate).
              Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Liverwurst tastes of fat, with the specific liver flavour being muted.

@OP - feel better now, would you like to lie down?
                Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
                  That explains it. Fat = yum

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post

@OP - feel better now, would you like to lie down?
                    Thanks! I guess Liverwurst will be the next thing I try. What should I look for when buying it?
                    http://anikaskitchen.blogspot.com/
                    My journal

Comment

Originally posted by ani View Post
                      Thanks! I guess Liverwurst will be the next thing I try. What should I look for when buying it?
                      Just look for one that has no objectionable ingredients. Not being in the US, I've no idea what is on offer to you
                      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I've always liked liverwurst too, and it for sure helped me like liver better. I hated it for years and years, refused to eat the stuff. When I had a severe case of anemia, I'd eat it and even craved it. Since then, I don't mind the stuff, but I won't buy store bought. I do like the liver from the latest half steer I bought from the farm. The fact that its well prepped helps alot - not too much in a package, evenly sliced in fairly thin pieces, and no "gross bits". I fry it in lots of butter with some kind of seasoning, lately its been Mrs. Dash but garlic and onion works for me too.

I still find it very strange that I now like liver, having hated it for most of my life.
                        Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

The liver is a vital organ present in vertebrates and some other animals. It has a wide range of functions, including detoxification, protein synthesis, and production of biochemicals necessary for digestion. The liver is necessary for survival; there is currently no way to compensate for the absence of liver function long term, although liver dialysis can be used short term .

Comment

I cooked up a bunch of chicken livers in bacon fat, mashed them with mayonnaise, chopped shallots and hard boiled eggs, a splash of brandy and worcestershire sauce for Jewish type chopped livers. Jewish version uses butter. Yum.

Look for the lightest colored livers you can find for milder flavor.

Our local celebrity chef, Richard Blaize, finalist on top chef, has a foie gras milkshake on his menu at Flip Burger. I haven't had the courage to try it.

Comment

IF YOU CAN FIND A JEWISH DELI, get chopped liver. It is made with Liver, Hard Boiled Egg, Salt, Pepper, and *drumroll..* SCHMALTZ!

For all ye who are uninitiated into the magical world of Jewish cooking, Schmaltz is rendered and seasoned chicken-fat! SETTLE FOR NOTHING ELSE. Make your own if you need to. It is GOOD. it started my liver addiction.

Little Saiyan

Comment

Working...
                              X