Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kale taking over my fridge - need suggestions!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kale taking over my fridge - need suggestions!!

My in-laws brought me 4 big bags of fresh kale from their neighbor's farm, I think around 16lbs total. I'm thrilled, I love kale, but I've only gone through 1/4 of it and need suggestions for the rest. Sauteed as a side dish is always good, but there's only so many meals in a row that I can do that.

So far I've made:
    Kale frittata
    Kale chips
    Noodleless kale "lasagna"
    Sauteed kale with shrimp and scallops
    sauteed as a side dish - italian style, cajun style
    scrambled eggs with kale
    zuppa toscana, subbing turnips for potatoes - from the huge bag of turnips they brought too :-)

Any suggestions would be welcomed! I'll blanch and freeze it if I need too, but I'm trying to clear the deep freeze for a side of beef.

soup. Green soup is awesome & incredibly nourishing.

Comment

I can go through kale like there is no tomorrow. It never lasts long at my house. I eat... or rather drink... kale every day in a Green Smoothie. My usual is 2 cups kale, 1 carrot, 1 cup frozen strawberries (or whatever frozen fruit sounds good), a little grated ginger, 1 T. of coconut oil, and a little stevia to sweeten it up. Sometimes I'll also add 1 cup of spinach and/or a banana. Yummy!!!

Comment

You could do creamed kale if you are eating dairy. I haven't tried this yet (but plan on doing this the next time I find a nice looking head of kale), but can you go wrong with cream and butter? And Bobby Flay for that matter?

Creamed Kale Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network

Comment

kale pesto! sub out half of the basil you would normally use for kale. i prefer this flavor to traditional pesto!

Comment

did you see the grilled kale mark had on the blog I think 2 weeks ago?
            MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Your list kind of reminds me of Bubba in Forrest Gump talking about all the ways to make shrimp LOL. Pineapple shrimp, coconut shrimp...
              True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
              The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

Originally posted by Camille View Post
                You could do creamed kale if you are eating dairy. I haven't tried this yet (but plan on doing this the next time I find a nice looking head of kale), but can you go wrong with cream and butter? And Bobby Flay for that matter?

Creamed Kale Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network
                Creamed kale with spring onions, garlic clove (or two), ground black pepper and some heavy whipping cream. YumYumYum! Its not something you would want to eat daily due to the heavy cream, but its yum. I am going to use this as a side tonight with some country style ribs I have in the crockpot atm.

Tes

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions! That should keep us going through this week

elwyne - do you mean a cream-style soup? I have a great recipe for caribbean spinach and coconut milk soup that would probably work well with kale.

Comment

Don't forget Bacon fried up with onions and Kale with a little fermented soy sauce. You could always add some cream to that as well. yummm

Comment

Originally posted by Tesen View Post
                      Creamed kale with spring onions, garlic clove (or two), ground black pepper and some heavy whipping cream. YumYumYum! Its not something you would want to eat daily due to the heavy cream, but its yum. I am going to use this as a side tonight with some country style ribs I have in the crockpot atm.

Tes
                      Coconut creamed Kale is great too, just use coconut milk/cream instead of dairy
                      For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

I am too lazy for cream soup but I bet that would work too. I basically just sautee onions/garlic, add shredded greens & water, & ignore for a few hours. Would probably be good w/ some ground beef added at the end.

Comment

OP i wish i had your problem! Ever since i first tried kale a few months ago (sauteed in butter, olive oil, garlic, with chicken broth & white wine added to it in a simmer), i am an absolute addict.

all of these recipes sound really good too.

Comment

Cold lemony kale salad is yummy and quick.

Blanch kale, then drain and cool. Toss with 3 parts tamari (or coconut aminos) to 2 parts lemon juice - the size of the "parts" depends on how much kale you're making. Add toasted sesame seeds and crushed garlic to taste. Refrigerate. This keeps for a few days at least - it's never stuck around longer than that. I can eat this by the pound!

Comment

I just bought Kale for the first time ever yesterday. Got it home and wondered, "what in the hell am I gonna do with this stuff?" How did you do your scrambled eggs with it? I need something that's quick and easy.
                              Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Working...
                              X