I ate brussel sprouts!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ate brussel sprouts!

I ate Brussel Sprouts!!!!! I'm so proud of myself!!! I cut them in half, put them on a sheet tray with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, paprika, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and pancetta and roasted in at 425 degrees for about a half an hour. The tast was really good, the texture was a bit off putting. I think I could get used to it though. And best of all, I didn't use any sugar or fruit to cover up the taste of the vegetable! I think next time, I'm going to slice them thinner, as I really liked the thinner one, that got really crispy. They didn't have quite the mushy texture the bigger pieces had.

But the flavor was really really nice.

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Awesome!! Good on you for experimenting and finding a way that you like sprouts prepared. My then-girlfriend-now-wife wouldn't come near them till I made this recipe: Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Cheese Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
    I actually haven't tried them roasted, but the way you cooked them sounds delicious.

Comment

Yay! Brussel sprouts are yummy. I make mine with bacon:

Slice sprouts into quarters about a pint
      Slice about 4 (I use more but then I usually have more than a pint of sprouts) slices of bacon into 1" pieces
      Fry the bacon in a large pan,
      If there is a lot of grease I usually drain off all but two or three tablespoons, depends on how lazy I'm being
      Add sprouts, stir, let fry for a few minutes, until edges of sprouts start to turn a little brown
      Add half cup of water and bring to a boil, let simmer for 6-7 minutes (basically till the water is almost gone) or until the sprouts are tender
      Serve

I'll try and find the actual recipe because I seem to remember pine nuts and onions being in it too, but the above is what I've done for the past two years and we all love it. The texture is always perfect and I never get the bitter sprouts I've had with other recipes if I accidentally overcook them.
      See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Comment

I usually make them the way kaylee does. So yummy. They're a favorite at my house. I've had a few people who said they hated them try them and love them cooked that way. I think they'd likely been fed overcooked sprouts as a kid. I like them a bit al dente.

Comment

I usually am lazy and get the grilled sprouts at the Whole Foods deli. Occasionally I'll do them myself Alton Brown style.
          Grilled Brussels Sprouts Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
          Bacon sounds like a great addition. MMMMM. IT'S BACON!!!

Comment

I love brussel sprouts however I can get them, but I know some people aren't so inclined.

Nice work finding a way to stomach them, though. This post makes me want to go buy some and experiment with different recipes.
            Last edited by Bacchanal; 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I have to resist making brussel sprouts too often b/c I can eat a Costco sized bag (it says 11 servings!) in one sitting. I loooove them any way, but roasted is the yummiest. But I actually find I like the texture/taste of roasted brussel sprouts better when they are cold... try putting some in the fridge and eating them tomorrow.

Comment

!

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I love brussel sprouts! They are one of my favorite veggies, hands down. I can easily eat a dozen or more at a sitting, then more cold the next day. I'm a plain old boil em / steam em person, tho they would go very well with bacon, I'll have to try that. I always cut an X in the bottom when making them, for some reason it helps them cook more evenly.
                  Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

I load em up with butter and garlic and salt. They are so delicious! Get down with your bad plant eating self!
                    5 foot 5 female.
                    Starting weight 187 (10/4/10)
                    Got knocked up; Had 3rd babby.
                    Current weight 128 (8/20/2012)
                    Goal weight 150 (pre-pregnancy weight); Goal weight #2 135 (ideal); Newest goal? RIPPED. I WANNA BE RIPPED.

"Bring a knife to a gun fight--stab them while they're laughing"
                    "You were born a winner- you were the fastest sperm"
                    I prefer to take life advice from courage wolf

Comment

Maybe ... maybe I'll be able to eat them one day. Thanks for the ideas - I might give them a try soon. Soonish. One day.
                      I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

I haven't had a brussel sprout since I was forced to choke them down as a kid.

This almost makes me want to try them. Almost. but. not. quite. The bacon sounds tempting though.
                        Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                        Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                        CW: 146.8 lbs
                        GW 140 lbs
                        A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylee99 View Post
                          Yay! Brussel sprouts are yummy. I make mine with bacon:

Slice sprouts into quarters about a pint
                          Slice about 4 (I use more but then I usually have more than a pint of sprouts) slices of bacon into 1" pieces
                          Fry the bacon in a large pan,
                          If there is a lot of grease I usually drain off all but two or three tablespoons, depends on how lazy I'm being
                          Add sprouts, stir, let fry for a few minutes, until edges of sprouts start to turn a little brown
                          Add half cup of water and bring to a boil, let simmer for 6-7 minutes (basically till the water is almost gone) or until the sprouts are tender
                          Serve
                          I do something similar except without water. And after the bacon I fry some onions in the bacon fat then set bacon and onions aside until the very end and then throw them back in the pan and toss until everything is hot. I can eat them till I split open.
                          Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

This was my first time ever trying them. I'm really working hard on learning to love vegetables. It's hard. I was never made to eat vegetables as a kid, and so I never got a taste for them. Now I'm having to force myself to eat them, and cook them in a way that I like.

It's hard.

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

Brussel Sprouts were one of the few foods I could never bring myself to eat but last week I tried roasting them (cut in half and roasted in goose fat with salt, pepper and garlic and then added crispy fried bacon) and they were delicious! I enjoyed them cold the next day as well Will check out some of these other recipes too
                              Bee
                              Newly primal mama. Taking my family along on the walk to a healthy, strong and happy primal life.
                              Losing fat, building strength, having fun.
                              My journal is here (please ignore my excessive use of exclamation points and smilies, I just can't help myself! )

Comment

Working...
                              X