Slow cooker recommendation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow cooker recommendation?

I've finally decided to get a slow cooker/crock pot. Looking to spend $50 or less. Would welcome comments about your good and bad experiences with particular brands/models.

Thank you!!

~Maria

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

They are mostly commodity items, one's about the same as the next, exceptions noted below. Go to Goodwill, under $10, usually half that.

I picked up an old 1950's Sunbeam slow cooker/deep fat fryer for $7 a few years ago. The crock is removable so that you can wash it well w/o getting the electrics wet. It has adjustable temperature - probably the best thing about it - so I can make yogurt, slow cook a pork roast, or crank it up for frying.

Comment

I just bought one called "Stay or Go" by Hamilton Beach. It was around $40 or $50 from Target. I've used it about twice in the last two weeks, both times with excellent results. What I like about this one is it is oval and shallow instead of round a deep, so I can fit larger cuts of meat in it.

Read through a Consumer Reports the other day and this particular slow cooker was actually listed as their #3 choice, lucky me.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll def be putting the Stay or Go on my short list.

Grok on!

~Maria

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

Any that are American made?

Comment

I also have the Hamilton Beach and it works very well. Also recommend crock pot liners if you don't like scrubbing crock pots.

At this moment I have a whole chicken in mine. Put about 5 Tbsp coconut oil in bottom, set chicken on top, sprinkled with pepper and sea salt and turned it on. My first chicken, it looks fantastic so far!

Comment

Figured I would follow up on my previous post above. My chicken was about 4 pounds. Put the Hamilton Beach on High for 2.5 hours, then down to low for the final 4.5 hours. Chicken came out perfect and delicious!

After eating my favorite parts (legs, thighs, wings), I stripped the breasts and other remaining meat off the bones. Put it in a container and then dumped all of the juice (coconut oil, water and chicken oil) on top.

This morning I heated it all up and it was one of the most delicious stews I've ever had. I didn't have time but you could add whatever else you wanted to add variety. I just enjoyed the fat and chicken. Will definitely be doing this more often...3-4 entire meals with almost no work!

Comment

I bought a Hamilton Beach crockpot on craigslist for $5. Works great.

Comment

Def go used... I am under the assumption that crock pots, microwaves and cast iron pans all have about 49876907 lives. Just try to find one that you can remove the ceramic part from the heater part for cleaning. Trust me.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

YOu can still clean the combined units, just don't immerse. A quick, emphasize quick, rinse is OK. There's nothing in there except a switch.

Comment

Yes you can. I did it for a long time... but its just so much easier and, well... lighter... to get a 2 parter. Really washing a whole crock pot on its side next to the sink and spraying water evrywhere is no fun.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

I have been told that older ones cook better than new ones because they don't get as hot and overcook food as much.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Sir Grandma: I like my older (1 piece) one BECAUSE it cooks faster. I feel like the low setting is low, high is high and thats all you need. The one I use now is low is low and high is mediumish. Blarg.

Comment

@Get Primal - I tried your chicken recipe above yesterday and it was FANTASTIC. My only addition was finishing the bird under the broiler to further crisp up the skin. Leftovers for lunch today were also delicious. Oh, and I just cooked it on high for 4.5 hours. Four hours may have been enough though.

Comment

Working...
                            X