Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for Canned Tuna (and other canned meats, probably)!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for Canned Tuna (and other canned meats, probably)!

I stumbled on this website advertising all the different ways to eat canned Tuna, and while some recipes use bread/tortillas/pasta, most are totally primal or easily primalized.

I appreciated this because canned tuna is a great source of quick and easy protein, but sometimes I stall on what to do with it. I hope you get some use of it like I did!

I like to make my canned tuna or salmon Mediterranean style, drizzled with olive oil, with black olives and quartered artichoke hearts, and plenty of garlic. I try to mix it with about an equal amount of fresh spinach to make sort of a tuna salad, it is delicious.

Comment

I used some today. I had a left over tomato shrimp soup but not enough for a full meal (about half a bowl).

So I added a can of tuna, 2 tablespoon of homemade ketchup, 3 table spoons of spicy tomato and ginger sauce (for Indian recipes) + a few drops of Frank's Red Hot sauce. I mixed everything up in a saucepan it was actually pretty good.

Comment

Look up spicy mexican tuna recipe posted in this forum just a few days ago. It's SO good!

Comment

I stuff baby squid tubes with it , roll them around in the frying pan for a bit , and chow down !!
          http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paleo-...43036789093004

Comment

I had for lunch today, with a salad made with carrots and cabbage marinated overnight in creamed coconut and palm vinegar, with hot chili in the tuna!

Comment

I added some spicy salsa to tuna packed in olive oil. Simple and yummy.
              Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
              Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
              More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
              LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
              Play more!

Comment

great link, thanks.

I had tuna for breakfast. Mixed it with grated courgette and spooned it into a halved bell pepper.

Comment

Thanks for the link. The tuna avocado dip looks particularly delish.
                  My Journal

Comment

Pop a can of tuna (best is in olive oil) into a blender with a clove of garlic and squeeze of lemon juice. Puree into a nice dressing for salad:
                    Tuna Salad, Take Two | Modern Gal

Comment

holy crap you guys are making me HUNGRY!!!
                      I love it mixed with the home-made chipotle mayonnaise from food renegade & mixed in with greens.
                      I also mixed a can with some frozen veggies (mostly green peas), butter, cream (or coconut milk) & some spices & baked (in office toaster oven) for a little primal tuna casserole! maybe crunch up some pork rinds on top? uh-oh, guess I know what I'm gonna go make...

Comment

Originally posted by simodalcais View Post
                        I stuff baby squid tubes with it , roll them around in the frying pan for a bit , and chow down !!
                        I think this wins the gold star for 'most unique use of canned fish'!

I'd love to try it, but haven't any clue where to obtain baby squid (other than the ocean).
                        Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Comment

Lunch today, tuna salad (next time i'm making it with paleo mayo, need a good recipe), on cucumber slices. Not crazy or unique, but a classic staple you can't go wrong with.

Comment

tuna "cakes"

two versions:

1 can tuna
                            1 egg
                            1/2 cup grated Parmesan
                            1 tsp savory herb blend (salt free - because the Parmesan is pretty salty to me)

Mix all ingredients into two patties and cook patties in pan over medium heat.

If dairy free:

1 can tuna
                            1 egg
                            1/2 cup oats (old fashioned)
                            1 tsp savory herb blend
                            salt and pepper to taste (if not already in your blend)

Mix all ingredients into two patties and cook patties in pan over medium heat.
                            Last edited by cindysue; 04-07-2011, 06:25 AM. Reason: missed a number

Comment

If you eat dairy you can blend tuna with sour cream and add some salt/pepper to taste. I don't eat tuna (can't stand the taste), but I do it with canned mackerel (in tomato sauce), and that works very well. I also know a lot of people mix tuna with mayo the same way.
                              Norak's Primal Journal:
                              2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
                              2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
                              2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

Working...
                              X