No announcement yet.

For those of you who DO eat potatoes...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those of you who DO eat potatoes...

This is an excellent way to eat them: Crash Hot Potatoes | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

Make a lot, and serve with steak. But instead of that iceberg wedge on the side, try boiled beet salad with feta and balsamic reduction.

Or if you don't want to get fancy, with scrambled eggs like we had tonight.

Robin's Roost
    My Primal Journal

they are so good.

Comment

I do love smashed red potatoes, but I am afraid of glycoalkaloids in the skin. Whole Health Source: Potatoes and Human Health, Part II

I'm not sure what type most red skinned potatoes are, but if they're red norland, the peel is loaded with glycoalkaloids.

Comment

They don't have to be red. I like yellow finglerings myself.

Robin's Roost
        My Primal Journal

Comment

I used to vacuum these into my mouth every time my mom made them, but she makes them with vegetable oil so I don't bother with them now. I've lost my taste for plain potatoes, but if those are your thing, definitely try that recipe.

Comment

OMG those look awesome. Thanks for the recipe. I can never completely give up potatoes. Hey Im Irish.

Comment

Looks mighty good, but as yodiewan expressed, I would avoid the skins if I made them. Might not be exactly the same, but I'm sure they'd still be tasty.

Comment

These are EVEN Better when cooked this way with BACON FAT!!!! OMG!!!! I know a lot of people worry about the peel and all but coming from a long line of potato farmers... I don't worry - and Its not like I'm eating them EVERYDAY - probably only 2-3x month... we do grow our own yukon golds in our backyard...
                The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                SW 190lb
                Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                GW ~135lbs
                5'3"
                Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

Far as I know, it's all potato varieties where you need to watch out for the glycoalkaloids. No problem though, just peel them after they're boiled. And I was just thinking about brushing them with bacon fat instead of olive oil. Or, just wrap them in bacon, or top with crumbled bacon, or....

Comment

When I eat potatoes (rare these days) I roast them in beef tallow. Thanks for the recipe. I would peel them, though.

Comment

I also am not giving up potatoes. Irish. Have to eat them. Sounds like a great recipe. And I appreciate the info about glycoalkaloids though. Pouts. The skin is the best part!
                      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I just poke a small Russet a few times with a fork and put it in a 400-degree oven for an hour or so. It comes out with flesh like pudding, and the skin just peels off by hand, or you can cut it in half and use the skin like a bowl while you scoop out the flesh. I like them with lots and lots of pasture butter.

Comment

I bake my russets in a hot oven and then I scoop out the inside. Then I put tons of butter and sea salt and pepper inside the crispy skin and munch away.

Comment

Ugh. That damn Pioneer Woman. This is a really pathetic confession, but you have no idea how many times I've stalked that site and her FB trying to find pictures of her. Because of course, in my mind, if she's thin that would give me the go-ahead to make EVERY DELICIOUS THING ON HER SITE, which is basically 99% not Primal/Paleo .

This looks like it fits the bill though! Once I get more into maintenance I'll certainly add a potato in every now and then. Thanks

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
                            ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
                            My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
                            Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Comment

Originally posted by Primalvore View Post
                              This is a really pathetic confession, but you have no idea how many times I've stalked that site and her FB trying to find pictures of her. Because of course, in my mind, if she's thin that would give me the go-ahead to make EVERY DELICIOUS THING ON HER SITE, which is basically 99% not Primal/Paleo .
                              LOL
                              My mom has one of her cookbooks, and she was telling her friend that they can afford to eat all that butter because they live on a farm and work hard. I've never eaten any of her recipes besides the potatoes, but I know her chocolate sheetcake smells reeeeally good. Just checked her site out and I think it's kinda dumb that she has categories for girl food and guy food...
                              EDIT: I take that back, apparently it's just the stuff she really likes and the stuff her husband really likes, not really assuming that they're foods that are universally enjoyed by chicks and not dudes and vice versa.

Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond
                              I am filled with lust
                              Last edited by Enamel; 03-25-2011, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X