Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a Paleo bottled dressing available?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a Paleo bottled dressing available?

I try to make most of my food from scratch, but I really need a good dressing to keep at my office for when I go out to eat and want a salad. I don't eat salads that much to justify making a new batch each week, so I'd like something that will keep for a few months in the fridge. I've been using an Annie's Balsamic dressing, but it has canola oil in it. So I probably need to ditch that when I run out. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I would make a walnut/macadamia/olive oil and balsamic dressing (+a little dijon mustard if you like )and put it in a bottle, labeled well; it will keep for ages.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Olive oil and 1/4 lemon are just about as easy to use as any commercial product, cheap, natural, and 100% primal. To really get convenient just get a little bottle of lemon juice and EVOO to keep in the office. It's rare to find commercial dressings without canola or other seed oils. But if you really like salad dressings, make your own! They are not hard and very tasty.
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

i usually just ask for olive oil and a lemon at restaurants.

Comment

Virginia's Real Caesar is if you're ok with cheese. It has a little parmesan in it. Otherwise, I think the suggestion of just making a jar of homemade vinaigrette sounds great.

Comment

I agree with everyone above. Olive oil with lemon or balsamic vinagrette. You can add some flax seed oil or mustard to it as well for that extra flavor. I also like to use fresh salsa as a salad dressing.
            "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

i looked pretty hard and didn't find anything satisfactory. The problem sems to be mostly with the oil used. Most of the organic brands said something like "may contain one or more of the following oils: soy, corn, canola, etc." I figure any food product that doesn't even know what its ingredients are will not get my money.

So I got a bottle of org. olive oil and a bottle of org red wine vinegar and keep those at the office for my salads.

Comment

There's a Herbes de Provence one that Naiad showed me, but I can't remember the brand.
                Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                  Virginia's Real Caesar is if you're ok with cheese. It has a little parmesan in it. Otherwise, I think the suggestion of just making a jar of homemade vinaigrette sounds great.
                  Thanks for posting this I have been looking for a caesar dressing with olive oil instead of soy/canola oil. Does it taste as good as commercial ones?

Comment

Wait until you get a bottle of olive oil about 1/3 of the way down. Refill it with red wine vinegar (adjust the ratio to your taste), pour in some whole, and some more cracked black peppercorns, some oregano, and other spices (I use an italian blend). Shake the hell out of it before you serve. You can also put a sprig of whole, dried herbs in the bottle to contribute their flavors.

Put in the fridge, it should keep plenty long.

Comment

Paleo = bottled.

Fail.

I have looked for a good bottled dressing to take with me on trips. Even the ones that only have olive oil in them have sugar or some other crappy ingredient.

I agree with the others, make your own and put it in an oil bottle or an empty salad dressing bottle.

Comment

I always saved small bottles with tight lids just for things like this. Soak off the labels, sterilize and they work great.
                        This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                        Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

I've found that Braggs makes bottled dressings using olive oil as the base, they're the only ones I've ever found. I make my own dressing but everyone else in my family is addicted to the Braggs Sesame Ginger dressing; Braggs also makes a decent vinaigrette, both contain honey, which is why I don't consume it usually. They are about $5 a bottle where I live.
                          http://anikaskitchen.blogspot.com/
                          My journal

Comment

Try this Greek style dressing. It doesn't have to be put in the fridge.

Absolutely Fabulous Greek/House Dressing Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Comment

Originally posted by kurite View Post
                              Thanks for posting this I have been looking for a caesar dressing with olive oil instead of soy/canola oil. Does it taste as good as commercial ones?
                              It's actually the best tasting bottled caesar I've ever had. I was buying it before I went primal.

Comment

Working...
                              X