Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can defrosted meat be cooked rare or medium rare?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can defrosted meat be cooked rare or medium rare?

I found some rump steaks on offer the other day and bought 12 of them. I cooked 2 of them to rare/medium-rare but the others have gone into the freezer. I'll be defrosting them one by one over the next few months, but my question is, is it safe to cook them to rare, or do they need to be well done (and chewy )?

I do all the time. I dont get an upset stomach. Im not sure what the exact guidelines are about eating previously frozen meat but i do know that most bacteria in meat is only on the surface of the steak etc. as it has been touched by fingers, the cutting surface and the cutting implement (known as vehicles of bacteria in food circles) If you give the steak a good searing in some hot fat then you should kill any bacteria. I know there are issues with frozen meat possibly harbouring very tough resistant bacteria or other pathogens (the ones that survive the freezing) so you are taking a minor risk. Maybe do a google search or wikipedia search. I personally wouldnt worry about it

Comment

As long as they weren't off when you froze them they will be fine .
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paleo-...43036789093004

Comment

Anybody who has bought a quarter cow or more is eating all previously frozen meat. It's as safe as any meat if defrosted properly. Don't throw it on the countertop and go away for the day, coming back only when the thing is lukewarm. And keep it covered to prevent stuff "landing on it". If I need to put meat out to thaw on a workday, I will wrap it in a towel on the counter. That seems to insulate it enough to slow down the thawing to prevent it overheating. And the outer parts of the meat don't get too warm while the middle is still frozen. It acts like a mini-icebox. Then cook right away - don't put it back in the fridge for another time. That's where more danger lies.

Comment

I've never heard of it being an issue and I do it all the time. Freezing, from what I understand, greatly slows the bacterial growth so unless you've had the meat in the freezer for six months you should be fine. The issue that most people need to be careful of is refreezing the meat.
          Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

yes

Comment

Cheers, that's good to know.

I don't think I'll have them 'well done' again. Takes me a good half hour to get through them, and I always end up with a dodgy jaw the next day

Comment

I defrost meat (in warm water *gasp*!) all the time and still cook it rare... no worries

Comment

i do too, still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Melody View Post
                    i do too, still alive.
                    Well all those that die of it aren't going to be able to go on here and write "This shit killed me"

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                      Well all those that die of it aren't going to be able to go on here and write "This shit killed me"
                      Only until I reach Lvl 12 Necromancer!!!

Comment

Safest way to defrost meat is in the fridge -- it'll take overnight, and it's ok to put it back in the freeze. After that, in a sink full of cold water. Like danaandvicky said you really just have to worry about the bacteria on the surface, which is how we can eat even CAFO meat rare so long as the surface gets cooked. Just be aware that a burger, and anything else with ground/mince meat is all surface.

Comment

Originally posted by jspradley View Post
                          Only until I reach Lvl 12 Necromancer!!!
                          LMAO!

Originally posted by AndreaReina View Post
                          Safest way to defrost meat is in the fridge -- it'll take overnight, and it's ok to put it back in the freeze.
                          Yes, it's safest to thaw it in the fridge, but you'll have a major decrease in quality if you then freeze it again, although it will still be safe if you've handled it properly. If it has warmed past 4 Celsius for any significant period of time (guidelines are 2 hours), you can't re-freeze it safely.
                          “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Pandadude View Post
                            Rofl
                            If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Originally posted by tfarny
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Comment

Originally posted by jspradley View Post
                              I defrost meat (in warm water *gasp*!) all the time and still cook it rare... no worries
                              Yup.
                              carl's cave

Comment

Working...
                              X