Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made liver and HATE it...what did I do wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made liver and HATE it...what did I do wrong?

I just made chicken liver for the first time, and absolutely hate it. It tastes so metallic, like I put a bunch of pennies in my mouth. I managed to swallow down a few bites, but I just can't eat this very often! I sauteed it in coconut oil over medium heat, with salt and pepper. Was this just a bad way to cook it? Is it supposed to taste like metal?

I've just returned to liver, having hated it as a child. I'm not sure if this actually does anything, but I 'marinate' calves liver in cream for a day or two and the resulting cooked liver is much less metallic than I remember. I also saute it in grass fed butter. I'm actually starting to like it.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Liver can get a metallic taste if it's overcooked. Try cooking it for less time, maybe?
      I blog here: http://www.primalkat.blogspot.com/

Comment

Chicken liver pate is delicious:

Balthazar’s Chicken Liver Mousse | CHEESESLAVE

So is calves liver, just make sure not to overcook it.

Comment

Liver is really delicious cooked in bacon fat. I usually coat the liver with coconut flour mixed with garlic powder, sea salt and pepper and fry it in bacon fat. Served with sauteed onions is delicious
          I blog here: http://www.primalkat.blogspot.com/

Comment

I "hide" beef liver in meatballs and chili. I'm working up to pate. It's a paradigm shift for sure!
            Liz
            Steve's Original
            CaveGirlEats

Comment

I hide my liver too. Cook liver until I can cut it up easily. Fry some diced bacon, add onions, celery, mushrooms and cook until soft. Then I add the liver to that. At one time, it would all be placed over some rice.
              Calm the f**k down.

Comment

I haven't gotten up my courage for liver yet (Working on it) but I have read that soaking it in milk can help draw out some of that metallic flavor

Comment

No matter what I try, I have to hide it in my other meats. My favorite is in Spaghetti Sauce cooked in with the Ground Beef. I have not had liver for quite some time though. It's a hard one for me, along with other offal...<shivers>
                  My Journal
                  sigpic

Comment

I tried buffalo liver awhile ago and hated it, it doesn't sound like you did anything wrong to me, I'm not exactly a liver expert.... I have some calves liver in the freezer I'm waiting to try it in some meatballs, hopefully it will be tasty. Good luck if you decide to try it again.
                    http://anikaskitchen.blogspot.com/
                    My journal

Comment

I'd recommend calves liver as a starter: much less icky.
                      Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Originally posted by moonablaze View Post
                        I haven't gotten up my courage for liver yet (Working on it) but I have read that soaking it in milk can help draw out some of that metallic flavor
                        Does it have to be cow's milk, or would coconut milk do? Or possibly even human milk, I think I have an extra bag in the freezer LOL.

Comment

Chicken liver is the mildest tasting of all the liver I've had. Pork is also mild. You must not overcook it. It should be pink and soft. Anything else and its not all that pleasant. (Shudders while remembering the overcooked lambs fry from childhood)
                          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I've never liked liver as a kid. The only form of liver I find palatable is "Paté de Fois Gras".

I found this recipe but I'd substitute the bread with some other thikening agent. Maybe hemp protein powder or coconut flour.

Pate De Foie Gras Recipe by Celebrity Chef Foods | ifood.tv

Comment

Originally posted by OperaDivaMom View Post
                              Does it have to be cow's milk, or would coconut milk do? Or possibly even human milk, I think I have an extra bag in the freezer LOL.
                              I'm no liver expert, but I'm pretty sure coconut milk wouldn't work because it's the acid in the milk that works on the liver. Somebody correct me if I have that wrong!
                              Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X