How to use up leftover wine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to use up leftover wine

We had friends over for dinner last night and we have about 1/2 a bottle of wine left. DH and I are teetotallers ( I drink wine only occasionally). I want to use it up before it turns bad. I know I can use it for cooking meat but I have lots of letovers that need to be eaten before I make anything. So, all ye groks, what can I do with it? Can I cook eggs with wine?

You could mail it to me. I'll drink it.

Comment

You could make vinegar - get a bottle of raw unpasteruized cider vinegar and add a little bit of the culture to the wine bottle. Put a piece of cloth over the bottle neck and set the bottle in a dark place. Check it every so often and when it's a strong as you like, bottle it and let it rest for a while.

I've also heard of people freezing it in ice cube trays and saving it for cooking later.

Comment

Geoff, both those are brilliant ideas. Thanks so much! I have Bragg's apple cider vinegar at home, would that work?

Comment

Is it a red?

I like to use leftover wine in a rich soup of bacon, vegetables (including winter squash), and beef broth.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Thanks. Glad you liked the ideas.

The Bragg's should work - it's what I've used. Just get ready for some vinegar flies.

Comment

Barbey, it's white. There was a little bit of red left too but I just dumped it. I think I'll freeze the small amounts in future for later use as suggested by Geoff.

Geoff, you said cover with cloth. So you don't use the cork?

Comment

No, you shouldn't cork it. The vinegar culture requires oxygen.

Comment

A note on freezing - I tried it with red wine but it didn't freeze properly, went more like a slush-puppy. I presume it was due to a combination of the alcohol content and a useless freezer.

Was still fine to store and use, just made a bit of a mess when I tried to "pop" a cube out of the tray...!

Comment

I sincerely wish that I ever had leftover wine ;-)

Comment

maba, if you do decide to use it for cooking meat in the future just put it in your fridge and it will be good for a few weeks. I usually have a 5 gl box in my fridge for either ocassional drinking or cooking and it stays good for 2 months at a time.

Comment

kuno, LOL!

maba, you should have offered it to your guests as option number one.

You can use it to make a cheese/wine sauce to put on broccoli, etc. The alcohol will (mostly?) evaporate, but the flavors are still there.

Comment

I love to add wine to my stews. It adds such a lovely flavor. Very savory. Just match your meat to the kind of wine you have on hand.

Comment

I need to totally branch out of my usual repertoire and make soups and stews.

Comment

Adding it to soups and stews is a great idea! As is the cheese sauce - cheese fondue anyone?

CC69: The one time I did that w/ a bottle of red wine, it tasted acrid after a week. I was new to wine back then and I thought it stored just like juice and offered it to some friends after it stayed in the fridge for about a week. I was SO embarassed when I took a sip of it! Maybe the boxed ones have a spigot that prevents the wine from oxidixing. Or I need to invest in those fancy stoppers that prevent the air from getting in.

@Geoff: How much culture do I add for half a bottle of wine?

Comment

Working...
                              X