Trouble with smashed cauliflower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with smashed cauliflower

Anyone have a good suggestion for making smashed cauliflower? I never seem to have much success with it. It seems to turn out runny for me. I do not use mayo in it. Not a fan of may.
    Georgette

What recipe are you following?
    Typically I steam mine then pour off any excess liquid. I will add my fat of choice -butter, bacon fat, even coconut oil then use my immersion blender to get a mashed potato style consistency. If you are using a masher (probably not the correct terminology for the kitchen tool, but I think you know what I mean) you may be releasing extra liquid as you mash.
    Maybe hold off on adding your fat, mash - drain, mash -drain, repeat til the extra liquid is gone then add your fat and mash a little more.

Comment

I mash them, and then drain. Then I add a bit of cream cheese, small amount of butter, and chives. YUM!
      The more I see the less I know for sure.
      -John Lennon

Comment

I don't have a stick blender, just a regular one. I usually steam them in the microwave until soft then put in blender and some HWC, S&P and some butter and done. Do I want them to be super soft?
        Georgette

Comment

Well my favorite way to do them is roasting them and then mashing them by hand. They are sort of chunky and not whipped. I never liked whipped potatoes either though, so maybe I'm not the one to be asking! lol
          -John Lennon

Comment

I like potatoes chunky as well. My problems come down to the family. I can handle the smashed cauliflower. Not too big a deal for me but I have to make mashed potatoes for them and I usually just buy the prepackaged stuff at the store. That way I am not too tempted to take a bite.
            Georgette

Comment

IME, it is important to use a steamer basket for cooking, and then let the cauli drain THOROUGHLY, like let it sit in a colander for 10 minutes.
              My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
              My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

I use a bamboo steamer (Asian style) over a water bath, that way the cauliflower cooks in about 10-15min with moist heat and is dry when it's time to mash. I've tried it microed and boiled and it always came out too runny, too much moisture.
                http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't have a steamer basket. Is there anything I could substitute that with? What about a double boiler?
                  Georgette

Comment

We just use a colander sitting in a large pan, and then drain it well. Cutting it up into small chunks first helps, as you don't have to steam it as long. Try adding cream cheese instead of HWC. It adds a great consistency and creamy flavor. A little butter for flavor, but not too much as it also adds water.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaish View Post
                      We just use a colander sitting in a large pan, and then drain it well. Cutting it up into small chunks first helps, as you don't have to steam it as long. Try adding cream cheese instead of HWC. It adds a great consistency and creamy flavor. A little butter for flavor, but not too much as it also adds water.
                      Thanks! I'm not eating soft chesese for 30 days. Only dairy I can have right now is hwc or hard cheese and butter.
                      Georgette

Comment

I steam, in the microwave, until tender then press the moisture out with paper towels. I add butter, sour cream, S & P and some times cream cheese. I use a mixer to whip things together.

Comment

For the family, you should try what I did to "convert" them. First a ratio of about 70-30 potato cauliflower. They will not taste it. Then gradually add a bit more, and more, until it's mostly cauliflower! MWAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!
                          -John Lennon

Comment

I used to make it with cream but since having stopped dairy I now use coconut milk. I really can't taste any difference. I just steam the cauliflower, add a little coconut milk, s+p, and blend well with an immersion blender. If you are adding butter and cream it may be too much liquid.

Have you tried mashed parsnips? I think the consistency is more like potatoes and the taste is amazing. If they were lower in carbs I would eat it every single day!

Comment

If you want to use heavy cream then you need to drain off even MORE of the liquid. I just steam my cauliflower in the micro with no added liquid. You can drain and squeeze slightly before mashing (I thing part of the problem is the blender, I dont do potatoes in a blender, I do potatoes with a masher or mixer.)

Either drain out more liquid with paper towels or spread out on a cookie sheet and pop in a warm oven for awhile. Go for some flavor the family will like, get your texture from heavy cream and butter and then add some garlic or herbs and some fresh parmesan.
                              MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Comment

Working...
                              X