Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to replace bread, wrappers etc

Hello

I'm new and live near Winnipeg, MB, Canada.

For many including myself this seems to be a tough one.
    How to make your own Primal Bread (non grain) or wrappers.

A few things I've tried are lettuce leaves, fill them with whatever sandwich items you want, roll'em up.

I like the veggie purees for making pizza crust or firm platforms for building sandwiches on.

But....what other things can I use for doing wraps, hamburger buns, sandwich bread etc.

All feedback and comments welecomed!

warm regards
    Steven

Hey, try the "omg crepes" thread as well as the much loved "the sandwich is back" thread. You will find much happiness there!

Comment

here's a recipe for soft tortillas: Tropical Traditions - Recipe - Coconut Flour "Tortillas"

i haven't made it yet, but it should work.
      And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
      Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

Nori sheets for rolls/small wraps. Rivvin's bun creation in "the sandwich is back" is awesome.
        Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

Collard Wrap Tutorial
          My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
          My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

Check out elanaspantry.com - her blog has lots of almond or coconut flour recipes that have made it possible to get my family grain free (at home atleast). Good Luck!

Comment

Easy. All you need is one bowl and one fork.

Step # 1 - Fill bowl with crap you would have put into/on bread, pita, wrap etc.
              Step # 2 - Take fork and grasp firmly in hand.
              Step # 3 - Shovel what is in bowl into mouth.

Variants - Perhaps instead of a bowl try a plate. Maybe even a knife is in order.

Or maybe I just don't get the SAD reinactment bullshit?
              Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Rivvins Bread is back is amazing! I make it weekly.
                Georgette

Comment

You can always try an Oopsie roll
                  Oopsie Roll
                  10 eggs, whites and yolks seperated
                  6 TB Mayo (I use Duke’s SF Mayo)
                  1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
                  1 tsp Salt
                  1/2 tsp Pepper
                  1 tsp Baking powder
                  2 cookie sheets
                  oil spray

Heat oven to 350

In a bowl, add egg whites and cream of tartar and whip until it becomes stiff and forms peaks. In a seperate bowl add egg yolks, Mayo, salt, pepper and baking powder and mix well together. Slowly add the yolk mixture to the whipped egg whites. Make sure you DON”T mix, but fold the yolk mixture in. This will take some patience but the results will be great. Now take the cookie sheets, spray them with oil spray, and using an ice cream scooper, scoop two scoops to make one roll and flatten with the back of a spatula. Continue until you’re done, I usually get 12 pieces, you can do just one scoop if you like, but to me they seem to hold their shape better this way. Bake in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes. Turn the oven off and let them sit in the warm oven for at least 1/2 an hour. Watch them every 10 minutes to make sure they don’t burn. Mine were the desired doneness after 30 minutes. Transfer them to a cooling rack, when cool them put them in a ziplock bag and put them in the fridge and use when necessary. Mine don’t last more than a couple of days. Oopsie rolls are often made with cream cheese, but for me I have to eleminate dairy, so mayo is a great alternative. Those rolls are more flaky than the one’s made with cheese, but they hold their shape just fine when used.

You can add 1/4 cup sifted coconut flour if you like and it'll make the buns more firm. You can always play with the seasonings as well. hope this helps
                  http://paleomiddleeastern.blog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chima_p View Post

Step # 1 - Fill bowl with crap you would have put into/on bread, pita, wrap etc.

Variants - Perhaps instead of a bowl try a plate. Maybe even a knife is in order.

I'd "like" this if they hadn't taken the feature away!

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...igarettes.html
                    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

+1
                      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I bet you could have found a less dickish way to say this.

Food is deeply tied to tradition and comfort; completely abandoning most of the foods one has eaten for one's entire life is extremely difficult for most people, which is why they're unlikely to try diets like the PB even if they believe the science. The ability to eat primally without abandoning whole classes of food (e.g., the sandwich) can be a psychological comfort that helps people accept their new way of eating. Calling someone else's food choices "bullshit," particularly when those choices fall within the realm of the same fairly specialized diet you follow, is really uncalled for.

TL;DR version: Primal food wrapped around other primal food is still primal food; don't be a dick.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaytoo View Post
                          I bet you could have found a less dickish way to say this.

Food is deeply tied to tradition and comfort; completely abandoning most of the foods one has eaten for one's entire life is extremely difficult for most people, which is why they're unlikely to try diets like the PB even if they believe the science. The ability to eat primally without abandoning whole classes of food (e.g., the sandwich) can be a psychological comfort that helps people accept their new way of eating. Calling someone else's food choices "bullshit," particularly when those choices fall within the realm of the same fairly specialized diet you follow, is really uncalled for.

TL;DR version: Primal food wrapped around other primal food is still primal food; don't be a dick.
                          I can see chima_p's point and mostly I try to just enjoy natural foods as they are, but yeah there are times when I'd like me a sammich so I may just try some of these occasionally. I think you really hit on things with tradition and comfort. My husband and the rest of my family doesn't eat primal. I like the idea of having things I can substitute for the non-primal elements in a meal so we can eat together. I don't see doing these things on a regular basis, but I'm not competing for a More Primal Than Thou medal. I just want to be healthy and happy.

Comment

Yeah I don't really get why the critique of primal "substitutes" has to come up in every. single. thread. where it's mentioned. As long as the substitute is healthy, I consider it a good thing if it helps someone adhere to a primal lifestyle.

Which is to say...

Using a raw collard green leaf as a "wrap" = good
                            Buying a low-carb Frankenfood faux-tortilla made of gluten and soy isolate and vegetable oil = not so good

It only becomes a problem when people seeking fat loss make highly calorie-dense food facsimiles (i.e. almond meal pastries) and then wonder why they're not losing weight
                            My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                            My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                              I can see chima_p's point and mostly I try to just enjoy natural foods as they are, but yeah there are times when I'd like me a sammich so I may just try some of these occasionally. I think you really hit on things with tradition and comfort. My husband and the rest of my family doesn't eat primal. I like the idea of having things I can substitute for the non-primal elements in a meal so we can eat together. I don't see doing these things on a regular basis, but I'm not competing for a More Primal Than Thou medal. I just want to be healthy and happy.
                              Yeah, I agree with you completely. I also see the point, and I definitely don't think anyone's doing themselves a favor by sitting around eating nothing but almond bread. But the More Primal Than Thou medal seems to be in high demand sometimes! My point is just, if you really feel the urge to go around making people feel bad about their food choices, at least save it for the people who aren't already doing things mostly right.

Comment

Working...
                              X