Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickled Eggs... I want to eat them. Help me do this!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickled Eggs... I want to eat them. Help me do this!

I love pickled eggs. I want to make my own.

The only recipe's I've ever known have called for ridiculous amounts of sugar. My grandma brought me a big tub of eggs pickled in beet juice with added sugar and while I ate them I would like to make my own that I don't feel guilty about.

Some of you people are freaky awesome at canning/jarring crap so help me out with some good recipes for this, please!

The sugar that is added is usually for preservation. You can try to substitute the sugar for salt or by other spices such as Turmeric, Ginger, Cinnamon, or coriander.

Try using a recipe for sour pickles and apply it to the eggs:

One example here:
    Blue Ribbon Dill Pickles Recipe - Food.com - 241139

Comment

DR to the rescue!

The Wilderness Childe: (Deviled) Balsamic Pickled Eggs
      sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Why is everything that she makes so awesome? I can't wait to try those. Thanks batty!

Comment

DR's pickled eggs are awesome. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
            Why is everything that she makes so awesome? I can't wait to try those. Thanks batty!
            i have gorged on ones made with her own two little hands and they are indeed fucking phenomenal. she made a different version at boarfest too - i think with mustard? i cannot remember. hopefully she sees this thread and chimes in. but the balsamic is pure win.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the linkage Batty! I do gotta make a buttload more of those ASAP.

I do have a spicy recipe. It's the pickling brine I used for the Spicy Zucchini. Works wonderfully for eggs. (If you really like spicy, add more mustard and red pepper.)

The Wilderness Childe: pickling
              Last edited by Diana Renata; 03-09-2011, 05:55 PM.

Comment

You must promise us for the love of all things holy that you will not make more than you can eat.

Comment

Oh my, the spicy recipe looks freaking awesome. I guess i'll have to make 2 dozen of each recipe and then document the results of an unholy binge.

Comment

Here's link to three different versions: How to make pickled eggs - Includes 3 recipes for pickling eggs.
                    Only one has sugar which you could eliminate.
                    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                      Oh my, the spicy recipe looks freaking awesome. I guess i'll have to make 2 dozen of each recipe and then document the results of an unholy binge.
                      *stands upwind*

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                        *stands upwind*
                        HA HA my thoughts exactly!

I've never eaten a pickled egg before... but now I want one. Just one, not 4 dozen mind you! lol
                        The more I see the less I know for sure.
                        -John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                          HA HA my thoughts exactly!
                          srsly. this will be like Kraut II: Revenge of Pickled Egg
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                            I've never eaten a pickled egg before... but now I want one. Just one, not 4 dozen mind you! lol
                            I assume it will be like everything new I've started eating the last six months -- full of win and awesome.

Thanks to all for the recipe linkage!
                            "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
                            "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
                            If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's new primal journal

Comment

My dad would pickle beets every summer, and after eating the beets would throw the eggs in. This is the only way I have ever consumed them. I am looking forward to al the good recipes here!!!

I have this site in my favorites also: Punk Domestics | Preserving There are so many home preservation projects in the making...
                              Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

Working...
                              X