Primal hummus, how I covet thee....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal hummus, how I covet thee....

Ok, Trader Joe's makes the best fucking (can I say that?) hummus in the world--they have cilantro jalapeno, Mediterranean, and roasted red pepper....so is there a way to primalize this that tastes somewhat close to the amazing-ness of the Trader Joe's kinds??
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    --John Muir

"I don't know what's wrong with me, but I love this shit."
    --Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
    --Hyperlithic

(eagerly awaiting, i miss hummus)
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

This is more like baba ganoush than hummus, but since you mentioned red pepper, I thought I'd post it.

Comment

Sure just make it with Almonds instead. You can substitute almonds for the garbanzos, mixing it with tahini lemon juice and garlic till you get the right consistency, almond hummus can be very fluffy and delicious. Sunflower seeds work "okay" but not quite as good. I've seen recipes for Zucchini hummus as well, but have never tired it. (Use zucchini instead of garbanzos.)

Good luck!

(Damn your eyes, now I crave an almond hummus nori wrap!)

Comment

Hummus is one of the best things to come out of the middle east. Just enjoy it guilt free.

chick peas
          olive oil
          tahini
          garlic
          cumin
          lemon juice

Where's the harm in that?

...you fucking potty mouth..

Comment

I've tried it with eggplant instead of chick peas (came out more like baba ganoush but was good) and with cucumbers (way too watery, it was gross). I've heard you can use nuts and I bet that is delicious. Like Darth said, mix with tahini, garlic and lemon juice and whatever other spices you like. When I get to my goal weight I am going to try it with macadamias and roasted red peppers. There is no way that is not delicious!

Dave_o, as I'm sure you are aware, chick peas are not primal/paleo.

Comment

Originally posted by paradisefound View Post

Dave_o, as I'm sure you are aware, chick peas are not primal/paleo.
              Yeah I know all that.... but there just has to be exceptions and rule bending when its justified by deliciousness, don't you think?.

Now, can someone direct me to the dark chocolate tree?

Comment

I LOVE this recipe: Broccoli Hummus Recipe

If nutritional yeast weirds you out, just sub parmesan.

I've had this one bookmarked for a while but haven't made it: 28 Cooks

This one too, but I'd sub macadamias for cashews due to carbohydrate content: Gluten-Free Recipes | GFG: Raw Cashew Hummus
                My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

Originally posted by DarthFriendly View Post
                  Sure just make it with Almonds instead. You can substitute almonds for the garbanzos, mixing it with tahini lemon juice and garlic till you get the right consistency, almond hummus can be very fluffy and delicious. Sunflower seeds work "okay" but not quite as good. I've seen recipes for Zucchini hummus as well, but have never tired it. (Use zucchini instead of garbanzos.)

Good luck!

(Damn your eyes, now I crave an almond hummus nori wrap!)
                  I had no idea you could make almond meal hummus. I've got a shitload of almond meal in the freezer. Gotta make some today.
                  Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

I'm wondering if steamed cauliflower would work as a substitute for the chick peas? Maybe especially good in a red pepper hummus? Might need to add some cream to mimic the "mouth feel"

Comment

Originally posted by Blackcatbone View Post
                      I had no idea you could make almond meal hummus. I've got a shitload of almond meal in the freezer. Gotta make some today.
                      I don't know if it works with almond MEAL, usually people use soaked almonds...sort of like the cashew hummus recipe I posted above.
                      My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                      My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Comment

Originally posted by erica057 View Post
                        I don't know if it works with almond MEAL, usually people use soaked almonds...sort of like the cashew hummus recipe I posted above.
                        I have some blanched almonds as well . . . sweet.
                        Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
                          Yeah I know all that.... but there just has to be exceptions and rule bending when its justified by deliciousness, don't you think?.

Now, can someone direct me to the dark chocolate tree?
                          +1. Lol
                          --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

‎"Think like a geek. Eat like a hunter. Train like a fighter. Look like a model. Live beyond."
                          --Hyperlithic

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys...I've tried making it with almonds and didn't think it was that great, but I'll have to try the other ideas...I've found that raw food recipes usually aren't good unless they're desserts, lol. But the steamed cauliflower idea sounds great! I'll have to try that.

Have you guys even tried the Trader Joe's hummus?? Totally get some as a cheat-treat, it's worth it.
                            --John Muir

--Tommy Caldwell

--Hyperlithic

Comment

I have made the zucchini, almond and broccoli types before. The zucchini was the best and closest IMO.
                              People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Working...
                              X