Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about mayo...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thinking about mayo...

    I've been craving some good mayo, and am pretty sure I'll have to make it if I want it. I know everyone will suggest bacon mayo, which I plan on making just as soon as I build my bacon fat reserves back up.

    But I'm curious if anyone has tried Wilderness Family Natural's Mayo? It would just be nice if something had a bit longer shelf life...

    Also, has anyone tried any other oils in their mayos besides olive? Avocado? Walnut? Cod Liver Oil? Okay, just kidding about that last one.
    The Paleo Periodical
    It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

  • #2
    making mayo

    I just made a batch of mayo that happens to be low fat and low carb. I'd really love a good fatty mayo recipe! Here is what I made:

    2 egg whites
    3/4 coconut oil (heated barely enough to liquefy)
    1 T apple cider vinegar
    pinch of salt

    in blender, slowly beat egg whites about 30 seconds. Blender still on slow, very slowly drizzle in oil, then vinegar and salt. Takes only a couple of minutes. Keeps about a week in the frig. Light and tasty, but needs to be warmed a bit to use as the oil turns hard in the frig

    Comment


    • #3
      I tried making mayo with elk fat, but it kept solidifying. It ended up being great for cooking with/spreading on hot meat/vegetables, but it just didn't work as mayo.

      Comment


      • #4
        We make mayo using macadamia nut oil. Taste is A+, since macadamia nut oil is light on flavor. Also, Mark recommends mac' nuts as a 'good' one to eat.


        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Buttercup View Post
          I've been craving some good mayo, and am pretty sure I'll have to make it if I want it. I know everyone will suggest bacon mayo, which I plan on making just as soon as I build my bacon fat reserves back up.

          But I'm curious if anyone has tried Wilderness Family Natural's Mayo? It would just be nice if something had a bit longer shelf life...

          Also, has anyone tried any other oils in their mayos besides olive? Avocado? Walnut? Cod Liver Oil? Okay, just kidding about that last one.
          I have tried it. It's okay, but it's not what we're used to. I like it better when I add a little dijon to it. I've recently ordered my second jar.

          Comment


          • #6
            Where can you buy WF mayo? I've never seen it. Is it online only?
            MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

            "When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

            Comment


            • #7
              Wow, thanks everyone! I was wondering if coconut oil would work, and since I'm going to the store, I'll look at macadamia nut oil.

              As for the Wilderness Family, yeah, I've only seen it online:Mayonnaise Wilderness Family Naturals
              The Paleo Periodical
              It's not a Diet. It's a lifestyle.

              Comment


              • #8
                Grapeseed oil is another option. I made it with olive oil and...blah!

                Comment


                • #9
                  we've tried grapeseed oil in the past. The taste is spot on, but Mark recommends to not use it:

                  -------------------

                  (Healthy Oils | Mark's Daily Apple)
                  "Skip this stuff. It does have a buttery taste, and it gets a lot of hype as a worthy replacement for olive oil, but it’s got high oxidation potential, especially if you follow the recommended instructions and use it for deep frying or high heat sauteeing. It’s rather pricey, too, so there’s no good reason to use it."

                  16% MUFA
                  70% PUFA
                  9% SFA

                  ----------

                  Totally agree that olive oil is not a worthy substitute, under any flavor circumstances.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Amazing Mayo

                    2 eggs, 1 tsp mustard powder. Blend. Add salt & pepper to taste, as well as 1-2 cloves of garlic. Blend again. Then slowly drizzle in 10 oz of oil (I use a blend of 1 oz. EVOO and 9 oz of expeller pressed sunflower oil). This will emulsify nicely and then add 1 tsp of white/red wine vinegar. It makes amazing mayo that really goes well with thinly sliced lunch meats!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Eerrrg. Tried making twice in the last week. fail fail fail. Going to the store to buy some damn mayonnaise......

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Can powdered eggs be used to make mayo? I'm thinking the answer is going to be a big negatory, but I would like to have some more shelf-stable (fridge-stable, rather) mayo on hand for when the mood strikes.
                        5'6" 27 y/o female, Primal 6 months and counting.

                        CW: 160 -- in single-digit dress sizes for the first time in 12 years!

                        GW: 150 -- for swimsuit season

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Deo View Post
                          Eerrrg. Tried making twice in the last week. fail fail fail. Going to the store to buy some damn mayonnaise......
                          Um, yeah.

                          My home-made olive oil mayo has tasted like butt. My bacon mayo has tasted like/was bacon fat.

                          So, I eat Best Food's but it is total, pure junk so there must be a better way. Mac nut oil and avocado oil sound promising.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by grammasmitty View Post
                            I just made a batch of mayo that happens to be low fat and low carb. I'd really love a good fatty mayo recipe! Here is what I made:

                            2 egg whites
                            3/4 coconut oil (heated barely enough to liquefy)
                            1 T apple cider vinegar
                            pinch of salt

                            in blender, slowly beat egg whites about 30 seconds. Blender still on slow, very slowly drizzle in oil, then vinegar and salt. Takes only a couple of minutes. Keeps about a week in the frig. Light and tasty, but needs to be warmed a bit to use as the oil turns hard in the frig
                            That sounds yummy and not particularly low fat. After all, it's almost all oil. But you could just use the whole eggs instead of just the whites.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I always use walnut oil

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X