Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give me your best fennel recipe!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Give me your best fennel recipe!

    Help, I bought fennel and I need to use it before it goes bad! I've looked up fennel salad, roasted fennel, recipes but maybe I have chef's block. Does anyone out there have a favorite way to prepare fennel?
    My Primal Journal

    Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone.

  • #2
    I love sauteing it in coconut oil, adding in some minced garlic toward the end, and then browning some ground beef along with it. Simple and mighty tasty.

    Also, if it came with the seeds/greens, add those in toward the end of the cooking process, too!

    Comment


    • #3
      My favourite way is to cut it into slices, and put it with a chicken (well smeared with lots of butter) into a le creuset lidded cast iron casserole pot with rhe juice of a lemon, salt and pepper and cook it fairly low in the oven (160C) for two hours - until the chicken is done. Remove chicken to serving dish and carve, add a tub of sour cream to the fennel / buttery juices and stir to make a sauce which I pour over the chicken. It is wonderful! If you have the feathery leaves from the fennel, chop them and stir into the sauce just prior to serving.

      I'd use two or three fennel bulbs for a decent sized chicken. If there is no fennel - this works really well with celery too.

      Comment


      • #4
        whoa that sounds tempting (minus the sour cream - it'd prob be OK w/o it, right? - i really can't stand sour cream). I love fennel, but i've only used it as an ingredient in soups.

        Comment


        • #5
          Saute it in coconut oil with fresh cranberries and your favorite sausage (sliced) Serve with a fried egg on top. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, it's yummy.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Catherine View Post
            whoa that sounds tempting (minus the sour cream - it'd prob be OK w/o it, right? - i really can't stand sour cream). I love fennel, but i've only used it as an ingredient in soups.
            If you are OK with ordinary cream that would work well too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Finely chop and make a slaw (can add som cabbage if you like) with lemon/orang/lime juice, a little balsalmic, parsley, scallions: toss, and let sit a bit, or put by in frig.
              This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

              Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
              Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

              Comment


              • #8
                Chop it into pieces and coat with olive oil. Slice two leeks and do the same. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the a 375 degree oven for 20 mins.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Similar: I cut it into rings, bake for 45 minutes on 350 with a lot of ghee (or butter), salt and pepper. Cover 1/2 the time to soften, then take the lid off for the rest of the time. Easy as can be and tastes great with pork! Fennel is my 'holy crap I'm too tired to cook' vegetable.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                    My favourite way is to cut it into slices, and put it with a chicken (well smeared with lots of butter) into a le creuset lidded cast iron casserole pot with rhe juice of a lemon, salt and pepper and cook it fairly low in the oven (160C) for two hours - until the chicken is done. Remove chicken to serving dish and carve, add a tub of sour cream to the fennel / buttery juices and stir to make a sauce which I pour over the chicken. It is wonderful! If you have the feathery leaves from the fennel, chop them and stir into the sauce just prior to serving.

                    I'd use two or three fennel bulbs for a decent sized chicken. If there is no fennel - this works really well with celery too.
                    YUM! Running out to buy a chicken now.... Does the chicken skin still crisp up with the Le Creuset lid on?

                    Originally posted by Suzan View Post
                    Saute it in coconut oil with fresh cranberries and your favorite sausage (sliced) Serve with a fried egg on top. Breakfast, lunch or dinner, it's yummy.
                    That sounds so interesting and very easy, maybe it would also be a good topping for roast turkey or turkey burger. Cranberries always make me think of Thanksgiving.
                    My Primal Journal

                    Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      [QUOTE=Fufuhead;363839]YUM! Running out to buy a chicken now.... Does the chicken skin still crisp up with the Le Creuset lid on?


                      It does - I tend to squeeze my hand between the skin and the chicken (a bit like using a glove puppet...) and smear a lot of butter in the cavity trying not to split the skin. This helps crisp the skin - and if it isn't crisp enough when it is cooked, remove the lid and turn the oven up. 10 minutes or so will do it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I haven't made this yet, but I love Giada's recipes: Pork Chops with Fennel and Caper Sauce Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network

                        Well...I love her recipes when she isn't making pasta
                        My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
                        My primal success story

                        "Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X