My favorite new thing! Mangos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My favorite new thing! Mangos

A local store had Mangos for a dollar, so I thought I'd buy a few. I've had them before, and they were alright, but I didn't love them. Since being primal for 4 months, my tastes have changed, and they are so amazingly good now.

Diced mango with heavy cream and cinnamon!!!! This was delicious!!!

you have got to head south sometime and try fresh mangoes...it's so different. i had one on vacation once, and it was like tasting paradise. a very sticky paradise.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

I love mangoes too! Diced mango + blueberries + coconut milk = yum!

Also, try using them for mango salsa, I think its best with seafood.

Mango Salsa
      1 ripe mango, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
      1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
      1 Jalapeņo, minced
      1 small cucumber, seeded, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
      3 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
      3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
      1 Tbsp olive oil
      Salt and pepper to taste

You could also add in avocado, red pepper, or jicama.
      My Primal Journal

Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone.

Comment

I love mangos especially the Ataulfo variety. It makes a great salsa for wild salmon or trout.

Comment

Mmmm mangos..../drool
          Calm the f**k down.

Comment

This year I have bought some fabulous mangoes, but for those of us watching carbs, be careful, they are true, delicious sugar bombs! High in Vitamin C, however!

Comment

I love mangos too. Coming up to the time when the local asian shops in Brighton have boxes of small, sweet and wonderfully flavoured yellow mangoes - I can't leave them alone! Quite pricey, but divine!

Comment

Best use for mangoes EVER:
                Pork Loin with Mango Salsa | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Stop it! STOP IT, YOU PEOPLE!!!

<sob>

Mangoes are my favourite fruit ever. It's an evil, evil, cosmic joke that they also happen to be the one food I am most seriously allergic to.

<stomps off to sulk in corner>
                  I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Benaldryl crusted mango, anyone?

Comment

Sigi, are you also allergic to cashews? I'm just curious, because my son is severely allergic to cashews, and mangoes are in the cashew family. I'm kind of afraid to let him try them.

Comment

I find it's a very fine line between a so-so mango and an "Oh my God!!!" mango. They have to be at just the perfect state of ripeness. This summer we are going to visit my wife's family in Indonesia and her mother has assured me that the mango tree in the backyard will be yielding perfectly ripe fruit while we we are there

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
                          Sigi, are you also allergic to cashews? I'm just curious, because my son is severely allergic to cashews, and mangoes are in the cashew family. I'm kind of afraid to let him try them.
                          I did not know that. I am very allergic to mangos, their skin has an oil that is just like posion ivy which I am very allergic also. Cashews do not cause hives like mango but does cause me stomach problems.

Comment

I don't think it was an apple that tempted Eve...pretty sure it was a mango <<mmmm....forbidden mango>>
                            "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Comment

Originally posted by Nik View Post
                              Oddly enough, no, even though they are both in the same plant family as poison ivy, from what I recall. I love cashews and eat them quite regularly (more than I should).

Mind you, I *used* to be able to eat mangoes freely without any problems - it's only during the past decade that a reaction became noticeable, and then each time progressively worse. At first (once I finally figured out the rash I was getting might be mango-related), an antihistamine would fix me up immediately. But recently, even just a mouthful of mango will affect me so badly (horrid rash that just won't heal without intervention, swelling of face/hands) that I need a course of steroids to overcome it (ugh). So nothing like a serious allergy to prevent you from eating something you love.

Dammit, wish I had the same allergic reaction to stuff I *shouldn't* eat - the old SAD temptations couldn't get to me then!
                              I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                              X