Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your favorite sweet potato dish??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your killing me! I must be hungry!
    http://cavewomancafe.wordpress.com/sigpic

Comment

I simply like to pan fry somewhat thinly-sliced sweet potato medallions with with butter until they are crispy on the edges, but still nice and soft on the inside. A bit of salt and pepper and mmm... Especially if they are served as a side with salmon.

Comment

Does anybody have access to Okinawan Sweet Potatoes? I'd love to try them, they are supposed to be super nutritious:
        Last edited by Adrianag; 03-08-2011, 01:43 AM.

Comment

@Adrianag: They have them at the Dekalb Farmer's Market. At least I think they are the Okinawan variety (I can't see the picture you posted). They have light colored skins and deep purple flesh. Be careful when selecting them though; some have soft spots and they don't seem to last as long as regular sweet potatoes (maybe they aren't cured). They are VERY good with virgin coconut oil (which Dekalb Farmer's Market also has great prices on - last time I checked).

Comment

Those are beautifully poached eggs. What's your method? I parboil my eggs for 15 sec before cracking them into simmering water with vinegar and salt, cook for 3 minutes. Usually come out pretty much like yours, though I've got the occasional egg that just disintegrates in the water. Great presentation and yummy-sounding prep too, just might have it tonight.

I'm pretty plain-Jane with mine, steamed, boiled or roasted. The last one with coconut oil and salt, otherwise I take them plain. Might be simple, but I enjoy the taste of an unadorned sweet potato.

Comment

Can you grill sweet potatoes? Maybe they need to be parboiled first?

Comment

I just had some roasted purple sweet potatoes tonight. So good! I also love a little almond butter on top

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                  Can you grill sweet potatoes? Maybe they need to be parboiled first?
                  Answering my own question, this recipe from Bobby Flay looks great:

Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Lime and Cilantro

Ingredients
                  3 sweet potatoes, unpeeled
                  Kosher salt
                  2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
                  Pinch of cayenne pepper
                  1/4 cup canola oil
                  Freshly ground pepper
                  1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
                  Parcook the potatoes: Place in a pot of water and boil until fork-tender; let cool. Slice each potato lengthwise into eighths.

Preheat a grill to medium or place a cast-iron grill pan over medium heat. Mix 1 tablespoon salt, the lime zest and cayenne in a small bowl.

Brush the potato wedges with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until golden brown on all sides (including the skin) and just cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter; immediately season with the salt mixture and sprinkle with cilantro.
                  Last edited by Adrianag; 03-09-2011, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X