Chicken livers...HELP!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken livers...HELP!!

Ok, I love chicken livers. I have never made them myself. The only way that I have ever had them is dipped in flour then fried. Used to be a major treat when I was kid. Obviously, no flour now unless I were to bread them in coconut flour. Any assistance with ideas on how to cook these little livers of goodness is greatly appreciated!
    Georgette

I just fry them in oil, without flour. Very tasty!

Comment

Do you use any seasonings Diana? I'm more than likely going to be the only one eating them except for maybe my 10 yr old. She would be ballsy enough to try them.
      Georgette

Comment

Yeah, usually. Depends on my mood. Sometimes I marinate them in tamari. Sometimes I sprinkle on some Cajun seasoning. Sometimes it's just garlic salt and pepper. They taste good no matter what you do with them.

Comment

I just cook them in bacon grease and salt and pepper them. Very good. You can also cook some onions in the pan after you cook the livers. If you can bear waiting for the onions to finish before eating the livers, hehe.

Comment

Nourishing Traditions has a good recipe for chicken liver paté. My dh makes it for me all the time...yum!
            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Me wants chicken livers NOW!!! Cursed work!!
              Georgette

Comment

Hey Georgette,
                This recipe was featured here on MDA awhile back and they are very tasty.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cajun...on-and-garlic/

Comment

How long does it take for them to cook? I would only think that it would take a few minutes for them to cook up.
                  Georgette

Comment

Does not take long. You should test them by cutting some off to test for preferred doneness. Since it is chicken you don't want to eat them raw but you don't want them to get too rubbery either. I don't really remember how long I cooked them for. Sorry.

Comment

The chopped liver in the PB cookbook is REALLY good. I also fry them in bacon fat with bacon pieces and onions. SO yummy. We eat this about once a week.
                      http://primalyak.blogspot.com

Comment

Since dropping white flour, I dredge in either almond flour or flax meal and deep fry in high-temp oil... It gets a good result, and gets that nice, crispy crust that is missing with no flouring.
                        Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
                        Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
                        Current weight: 210.8 lbs
                        Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
                        ChooseMyPlate

Comment

Originally posted by keithpowers View Post
                          Since dropping white flour, I dredge in either almond flour or flax meal and deep fry in high-temp oil... It gets a good result, and gets that nice, crispy crust that is missing with no flouring.
                          Do you use an egg wash or anything or are they wet enough that it will just stick?
                          People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Comment

Originally posted by IcarianVX View Post
                            Do you use an egg wash or anything or are they wet enough that it will just stick?
                            They are wet enough to take the flour.

I did learn one thing about chicken livers. They do not reheat well. Need to remember when I make them again, to just eat them right after cooking. They were still good but had an odd taste that I didn't remember.
                            Georgette

Comment

Can't believe I didn't post these chopped liver recipes earlier:
                              Bourbon Chicken Liver Pâté Recipe at Epicurious.com
                              Chopped Liver Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Both are delicious and simple. I like the technique in the Bourbon recipe of sealing the tops with fat (I used schmaltz) to help them stay fresh longer. I also like to mix in the gribenes right before I eat the chopped liver. I enjoy it straight, but it's also good scooped with pork rinds.

Comment

Working...
                              X