After a bit of cooking advice with organ meats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a bit of cooking advice with organ meats

Hi guys, first of all I wanted to say I just finished my first 24 hour fast and it was great! Pretty excited about it.

Anyways, I'm wanting to get into organ meats. I've read a fair few threads on cooking them, but my problem lies in combining them. Every Sunday I usually make up a big curry of some kind (rendang/thai red/green/masaman etc) and take it to work for lunch. I want to start putting organ meat in there, the first thing I thought of was beef heart, chicken/beef liver, lamb kidneys and tripe (these are what are available). From what I understand, the heart will need a fair bit of cooking time, I'm assuming 3 hours or so? If I were to combine it with any of the others mentioned when would be the best time to put them in to avoid them becoming too tough?
    Also, is there much difference between a grass fed heart and a regular heart? I normally eat grass fed beef but grass fed hearts might be a bit harder to come by. Finally, is there any cleaning/soaking necessary for the kidneys or livers?

Thanks for your help!
    http://realcareerguidance.com

Long cooking times are sometimes recommended for heart to tenderize them, but it's not necessary. Cut them into small pieces as you would for a stir fry and you're golden. I made a curry with beef heart and the slices were probably 1/2" thick and 2" long, that worked very well. Some people recommend soaking livers a few hours to overnight in milk, not really sure why. The one time I really had livers I enjoyed they were chicken livers that just went straight into the pan. Make sure you don't overcook them and you should be fine.

Comment

Thanks for the help Andrea!

Comment

I just came here to ask about cooking organ meats too - so cool there's already a thread started. I've read that its easy to overcook organ meats and was wondering if I should start by doing a class... not that I've had any luck finding one in my part of the world. I've also seen complicated descriptions written about how to trim organ meat (I think kidneys?) and as I couldn't follow that's another reason I was thinking of classes. Can anyone advise of the best organ meat to start with, ie. the hardest to ruin?

Comment

Heart and tongue are probably the easiest to cook as they are just muscle. In a curry or casserole you really can't overcook so long as there is sauce. Two to three hours is best.

I often make a curry with some muscle (heart, tongue or normal) and liver. Just throw in the chopped liver for the last 10-15 min then let cool. Kidney is usually cooked for as long as the steak in steak and kidney pie.

Chicken and pork are the mildest tasting liver. Beef and lamb are stronger. I don't think any need soaking

Pork is the strongest tasting kidney. I think it needs soaking. Lamb and beef are mild enough to not need soaking
          Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

Wow, I don't know how you guys do it. The heart was fantastic and I'll use it again, but the liver? Wow, I've never eaten anything with such a horrid consistency! I managed to get it down once and knew I couldn't do it again so I made another batch that night just with heart. I know organ meat is good for you but I just can't do liver unless it's on toast or something like that. Yech!

Comment

I just cut beef heart into strips and fry it, its no tougher than a cheaper cut of steak. So very very tasty!

Comment

Where are these items purchased?

Comment

since heart is just muscle, what's the benefit of eating it?

i understand that there are benefits to liver. Which i hate the taste & texture of, so I eat liver tablets daily, or have some of that cod liver oil which is lemon flavored and really quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine View Post
                    since heart is just muscle, what's the benefit of eating it?

i understand that there are benefits to liver. Which i hate the taste & texture of, so I eat liver tablets daily, or have some of that cod liver oil which is lemon flavored and really quite nice.
                    Heart is very different to other muscles. It is the only muscle that must work constantly. Its fibres are very dense as a result. Its breakdown releases different proteins to those of other muscles
                    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

I bought goat liver from my locally grown online market, but I haven't had the nerve to thaw it yet. I like chicken or beef liver pan fried with onions and bacon. I also like chopped liver with onions and hard boiled egg chopped in with the liver.

Comment

Originally posted by Pamsc View Post
                        I bought goat liver from my locally grown online market, but I haven't had the nerve to thaw it yet. I like chicken or beef liver pan fried with onions and bacon. I also like chopped liver with onions and hard boiled egg chopped in with the liver.
                        If its any help, lamb's liver is a bit milder than beef or calf's liver

Comment

I LOVE beef liver!

I usually just cook it, then blend it with salt, pepper, onion, allspice and perhaps other things as well. Goes sooooo well with fried shrooms and bacon!

Comment

I actually have always liked liver, particularly calves liver. But the goat liver had an odd taste--a bit like the smell of a sweaty horse. I perhaps overcooked it a little (medium well).

Comment

I made liver pate from chicken livers. It was pretty darn good the first time I ate it. I froze the rest and just had some the other day. After thawing, it tasted and smelled like WET DOG.

I've always dispised liver, but when I made the pate, I must have really been craving it. Eating it when I don't desperately need it, results in a gross out.

I'm definitely not the casual liver sucker. haha

Comment

Working...
                              X