Looking for beef liver recipes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for beef liver recipes

Anyone have any good beef liver recipes? We have lots of nice liver from our meat farmer and I'm not sure how/what to do with it.

I put a "recipe" for liver patties in the recipe section the other day. I think I'd rather eat my liver that way than any other way now. I'm going to try doing them with raw liver next time instead of leftover cooked liver.

Comment

Take some thick cut bacon and dice it into cubes (diced fat back would be even better). Render the fat and remove the bacon/cracklings. While the bacon renders "french cut" an onion (trim root and stem ends, halve, peel, and cut longitudinally). Saute the oniom in the hot fat until browning and then add your liver. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT COOK IT TOO LONG. I can't see your cut so it's hard to be more specific than that. Just keep it nice and pink and tender. Gray is gross.

Remove liver and onions to a serving platter and top with bacon/cracklings, and some minced parsley. Fall to.

Comment

I know it's not very primal, but I read somewhere that soaking beef liver in milk for a few hours does wanders. I used to cook it that way and the flavor and aroma are way better. That way you can easily make it "gray" and still have a super-tender piece of sweet tasting liver.

Also, cook it and ground it and make some Deviled Eggs with it.

Comment

Thanks, all! My Gram used to make the nasty grey liver and onions - yuck! She would cook the snot out of everything.

I'll give these a try!

Comment

Hi,

I use liver to make a tasty meat broth aka bouillon. I often use leftover carcasses, bones etc. and put it all into a big pan with carrots, celery, parsley etc. It is really good and gives the soup an interesting flavour.

M x

Comment

I usually make liver curry, Indian style and eat with cauli-rice. Saute onion, ginger, garlic in fat till onion turns translucent. Add turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder (or simply use cayenne pepper + garam masala or any curry powder you have). Salt to taste. Add tomatoes if you want to have some liquid, skip it if you want it dry. Add chopped liver. You can add coconut milk if you want more liquid to eat with "rice". When the liver is done, remove from heat and add lots of chopped cilantro and stir.

Comment

My favorite recipe for beef liver is from Ren's Edible Aria blog. http://ediblearia.com/2009/07/23/not...er-and-onions/

Comment

marinate in red wine vinegar (& honey?) for an hour or so. dredge in coconut flour (salt & pepper). Cook in bacon fat after the onions are done. But I think Maba's way sounds really really yummy. But then I like anything cooked with garam masala.

Comment

I've never tried it, but my kids old nanny swore by soaking it in tea, then cooking it. Said that it made it sweet!
                    SW: 235
                    CW:220
                    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
                    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
                    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
                    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Comment

I have minced it fine and mixed it 50/50 with ground beef in meat patties. Also done 'organ chili' with liver and heart that was EXTREMELY well accepted. You could also grind it fine and make dumplings to have in a meat broth, sorta like duxcelles. Pate' might work, if the liver wasn't overly strong flavored. I do that alot with chicken livers (provided I can keep the raw ones away from the kitties--in thier bowls--or from the kid--cause she will eat them poached with salt)

@maba--ohhhh wow! I am going to have to give that a try for sure!
                      Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
                      ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                      Re-Start date 6/23/2011
                      me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
                      273.4/269.3/115
                      Hubby--230/227.8/165

Comment

Don't cook it too much if you want to preserve all the nutrients.

I usually steam it very lightly, leaving it a bit bloody inside. Then I top it with salt/spices. I love the taste.
                        .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Neither DH or myself really cares for the taste of beef liver, but we know how good it is so we had to find a way to get it into our diets! We read somewhere (maybe it was Nourishing Traditions) to puree the beef liver and freeze ice cubs of it. Then take the beef liver cubes & put them in a plastic bag/tupperware and keep them in the freezer. Whenever we make a dish with ground beef, we pop a couple of the cubes into the mixture and can't even tell they are there.

Recently we added beef heart to the liver mix and still can't tell its there. We do use grass fed beef which has a slightly gamier taste, so I don't know if that is why we can't tell the liver/heart is in there. The taste may or may not stick out more in regular beef.

Comment

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...e-made-burgers
                            www.beatingorthorexia.co.uk

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Comment

My mom would slice liver fairly thinly (while it was still semi-frozen) and then she would sautee it in a pan. Once it was browned on both sides, she'd add beef broth and then simmer it until the broth became thick and rich. Similar to what a previous poster suggested except she served it straight up like that instead of adding it to soup or anything like that. It was awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X